There's no standard of time that you have to stay single.
relationships

When You Call Them A Rebound, You're Undermining The Entire Relationship

The idea that we have to wait X amount of time before we can open our hearts again is ridiculous.

183
https://unsplash.com/photos/xPzMyRIUUKE

After my five-year relationship ended I was dedicated to me, myself, and I. Being in a committed relationship so young made me miss out on some self-reflection. We were dependent on each other (or at least I was on him) and ultimately hindered each other's growth. When it ended, everyone agreed I needed to stay out of a relationship as long as possible. I was happy on my own finally. I started exercising, doing better and being more involved in school, cooking for myself and spending more time with my family. I went on a couple dates for fun but had no expectations or desire to find the next one. I thought I was completely drained from the effort that goes into relationships. And then I met Aaron.

I was so pumped to see my favorite band of all time with my best friend. We found out one of my other friends was also there and met up to hang out in line for doors. That's where Aaron was. I had no idea that we would end up together again the next day, and then in a relationship so quickly.

"Wasn't that quick?" was the repetitive responses everyone gave me. Well, yeah. I was only alone for three months. I didn't choose for it to happen this way, but time doesn't care where you're at in life when the right person comes along. And if I'm being really honest, my last relationship was over months before it was over. Technically, I was single for three months. As for my heart, I was alone for much longer than that.

If I wasn't with him, I wouldn't be with anyone. Something I've always struggled with is that I didn't think I would ever be with someone that could love me or care for me as much as I did for them. All boys are selfish was my mantra. Relationships are more give give give than I could possibly take from anyone.

Is a rebound just someone you're with to get over the last person? Is a rebound for people that are afraid to be alone? Or is it the next person you're with, maybe too close to the end of the last relationship?

Everyone wants to set their own boundaries and standards on other people. What is the standard length of time that is allowed before I can open my heart again? And why should that be forced upon me when only I knew the ins and outs of the end of my last relationship and my healing process?

I've been the punchline from my friends and family for moving on "too fast," but I'm not going to tell someone that I genuinely fell for and care about to screw off for a couple more months so that I can satisfy everyone else's idea that I need to be alone for X amount of time before I can date again.

I was happy by myself and I'm happy now with someone that has shown me what a healthy relationship looks like. When I graduate I'm planning on applying myself to whatever career is right, no matter where it is. I'm in a place now that I can focus on myself, while my partner also works towards his goals. If our paths continue to align then that is great. If we get separated along the way, I am fulfilled enough with myself to accept that. And he understands that, too.

It's too early to say if he's "the one," if that's what you believe. I don't have a plan for when I'll get married, or have kids, or buy a house. Or if I'll even do any of the above. I think what truly reflects that my relationship I'm in now as not merely just a "rebound" is that it is our choice to be together. Not for our own insecurities that make us feel the need to be with someone purely for being with someone or searching for fulfillment in another person.

If it's the right person, who's to say that it's wrong that I waited three months versus six? What would the honest difference be? My hair would be three inches longer and I might've had an extra hundred dollars in my savings account?

When you label someone as a "rebound" you undermine the entire relationship that could be truly genuine and right. Like I said, if I wasn't with Aaron, I wouldn't be with anyone. He treats me better than I could've expected from anyone else, we enjoy spending time together, we have hobbies and interests that keep us interested, and he keeps me grounded. Time doesn't care how long you've waited if it's meant to be it will be.