NFL Week 12 Spread Locks

NFL Week 12 Spread Locks

Thanksgiving has always been the unofficial holiday of the NFL. What are your teams thankful for this year?

38
NFL Week 12 Spread Locks
Flickr (GaryLakePlacid)

Okay we officially have a kicking crisis in the NFL. When the league voted to move the point after attempts back from the 2-yard line to the 15-yard line in 2015 more misses were expected. This is more than a couple misses, this is becoming an epidemic. Week 11 had to be the boiling point for anyone that put money on games. There were a couple games–Detroit Lions and New York Giants games specifically–that were lost due to shanked PATs. In total there were 12 missed PATs in Week 11. Even the kicking god Stephen Gostkowski of the Patriots missed a PAT. That’s like Michael Jordan missing a breakaway layup. So the question has to be asked–are kickers on their way out?

Not exactly. Field goals are still a crucial part of football, but I do think we are seeing the beginning of the end for PATs. Moving them back to the 15-yard line has clearly had an effect and I believe more and more teams will start going for two following a touchdown. Mike Tomlin has been one of the only coaches to go for two if his team scores a touchdown first and I think it is something more teams will look to do, especially in the type of conditions most of the games were played in on Sunday. The bad weather across the league was the main reason for missed PATs–except for the Bengals game. Mike Nugent simply sucks–so teams should feel more inclined to go for two in bad weather games.

Another alternative the league can look into is going to a format youth leagues use where an offense can go for a one-point conversion with the ball placed at the one-yard line. Kickers will still be needed for field goals and if a team opts to kick a PAT they can put the ball at the 15-yard line. It seems outlandish, but clearly something is up with kickers and either the league adjusts or kickers will face the wrath of fans, players, and everyone that cares about watching a good football game.

Let’s pray Week 12 is not a redux of missed PATs. Home teams are in CAPS.

Vikings (+3) over LIONS

The last time these two met up the Vikings gagged at their place. The Lions hung around all game, pushed the game to OT and then Golden Tate got loose for a game-winning touchdown. Fast forward two weeks and both teams are now tied for first place in the NFC North. With the Packers done this game could be the deciding game of who wins the division. The Lions were able to put away the Jaguars coming off their bye week. Matthew Stafford has been a stealth MVP contender all season and while he didn’t do anything to hurt his case last week, he didn’t exactly help it. Maybe it was rust from having the previous week off, but the Lions were still able to do something all good teams do–win when they’re not on their A-game.

On the flip side the Vikings are coming off a bounce back performance against a sinking Cardinals team. Xavier Rhodes reminded us that he is currently the best corner in the league, notching two interceptions including a 100-yard pick six. On offense things were still lackluster, but much like Stafford, Sam Bradford was able to avoid making mistakes. The offense only accounted for 14 of the Vikings’ 30 points. You’re not going to win many games like that as the season winds down, but you can definitely keep it close. This game is still a toss up to me and I believe it will go down to the wire yet again.

Prediction: Vikings 23, Lions 20

COWBOYS (-7) over Redskins

If you were not sold on the Cowboys heading into last week you sure are sold on them now. In the first game following Tony Romo throwing the white flag Dak Prescott proved it was a wise decision. Facing a tough Ravens defense Prescott was on point all day throwing for three touchdowns and not turning the football over. Ezekiel Elliott was not far behind his fellow rookie, rushing for 97 yards, but the star of the day was Prescott. The rookie signal caller has reinvigorated Dez Bryant and the Cowboys offense as a whole, adding a dimension to them that simply not there with Romo under center. Coming up this week they try and notch their tenth win in a row against another red hot team, the rival Redskins.

Kirk Cousins has officially awoken from his ten week slumber. That or the Packers pass defense is really that bad. Whatever the case, the Redskins come into Thursday with loads of confidence. The last time these two threw down Prescott led a come from behind win in Washington. But that was during Cousins’ struggles and before Fat Rob. The Redskins did whatever they wanted against the Packers last Sunday night and no one came out a bigger winner than Robert “Fat Rob” Kelley who ran for 137 yards and three touchdowns. The Cowboys defense will look like the ‘85 Bears compared to the Packers, but Kelley and Cousins should still have solid days. But will it be enough to stop the unstoppable force of youth? I think not.

Prediction: Redskins 20, Cowboys 28

Steelers (-3) over COLTS

The Thanksgiving nightcap went from an entertaining showdown to a possible laugher. Andrew Luck reportedly has a concussion meaning he would miss this game. Who’s Luck’s backup you ask? Scott Tolzien. If you don’t know who the hell that is don’t worry most Colts fans have no clue who he is either. If Tolzien gets the start the Colts already lost. Luck has been everything for this Colts team, carrying them despite having a bad defense and pathetic offensive line. T.Y. Hilton and Frank Gore have done noble jobs to support their MVP, but being asked to carry Tolzien might be too tall of a task.

Prior to Luck getting put into concussion protocol this game had all the signs of a shootout. That may change for the Colts, but it’s business as usual for the Steelers. Le’Veon Bell devoured the Browns last week and should have no problem feasting on another weak opponent this week. Antonio Brown was held in relative check last week by Joe Haden and this week he draws another tough assignment in Vontae Davis. Despite the matchup I would be shocked for AB to not reach the end zone and if he doesn’t that means someone else is open. Whether it is Eli Rogers, Ladarius Green or Bell, Ben Roethlisberger will have someone to throw to. Assuming Luck doesn’t play the Steelers should waltz through this one and continue their late season push.

Prediction: Steelers 34, Colts 14

Titans (-3.5) over BEARS

At this point the Chicago Bears are trying to make it to Week 17 with 22 healthy players. They’ve been dropping like flies all year and with nothing left to play for it’s hard to make the argument they will win another game. Jordan Howard has been the sole bright spot for this team, but that is not nearly enough. The only reason the Bears were able to cover last week was because Robbie Gould’s heart is still in Chicago evidently, shanking two PATs that ended up being the deciding factor. This week against a Titans team with something to play for the chances of the Bears covering again are slim to none.

Marcus Mariota has been money all season minus his turnover parade against the Chargers in Week 9. When he takes care of the ball Mariota has improved vastly much thanks to actual talent being put around him. DeMarco Murray is the unquestioned star, but Delanie Walker, Rishard Matthews and at time Tajae Sharpe have come through for Mariota. Last week they fell short of coming back 21 points down against the Colts, but still have a glimmer of hope to win the division. The Bears had trouble stopping a docile Giants rushing attack last week so the Titans offensive line should be licking their chops for this Sunday as they fight to stay alive.

Prediction: Titans 26, Bears 14

Jaguars (+7.5) over BILLS

Is there anything left to say about Blake Bortles? The man simply cannot win. Even when he plays good he loses. Last week he threw his second interception that bounced off his receivers foot and into the arms of a defender. How does that happen twice? The football gods clearly don’t like Bortles and the Jaguars have suffered because of it. The defense has been solid–seventh overall in total defense–keeping them in games, but until Bortles can prove he can play an error-free game the Jaguars will stay at the bottom. Chances are that error-free game will not come against the attacking Bills defense.

At 5-5 the Bills have scrapped their way into the Wild Card discussion despite having injuries at every possible position on offense. They were able to stifle the Bengals offense who looked lost without A.J. Green and did enough on offense to win. LeSean McCoy left last week’s game early with a thumb injury, but will reportedly play. That should be all the Bills need to control the clock and tempo of the game and secure a win. As for winning by more than a touchdown? I think the Jaguars are a little more respectable than that.

Prediction: Jaguars 13, Bills 17

Bengals (+4.5) over RAVENS

What are the Bengals to do without A.J. Green? He was their heart and true superstar. Now he is gone for an extended period, if not the rest of the season, with a hamstring injury. He went down in the opening minutes against the Bills and the after effects was a bad Bengals offense. Andy Dalton tried to make due with Tyler Boyd, Brandon LaFell, and Tyler Eifert, but the Bills defense was able to force enough turnovers to hold the Bengals at bay. The defense played well, but the Achilles heel of this team remains their kicker. Mike Nugent might be the worst PAT kicker of my lifetime and I’m not sure how he still has a job.

On the polar opposite side is Ravens kicker Justin Tucker who is absolutely money. If it weren’t for him the Ravens would average even less points than the 17.9 they already average which is good for 26th in the league. Joe Flacco has never been blessed with weapons, but this season it has been Mike Wallace and Steve Smith or bust. Terrance West has been solid, but he’s not the future or present answer in the backfield. The Ravens are a good football team they just don’t blow anyone out. That should be the case this Sunday as the edge an already deflated Bengals team.

Prediction: Bengals 17, Ravens 20

FALCONS (-4) over Cardinals

You can cross the Cardinals off the list for possible Super Bowl winners. Last season was clearly Carson Palmer’s last hoorah and it makes the NFC Championship game performance that much more depressing. Palmer’s steep decline has had a ripple effect in the Cardinals offense leaving everything on the shoulders of David Johnson. The second-year back has carried as much the load as he could, but it still hasn’t been enough. DJ pounded a good Vikings defense yet the Cardinals were still unable to win. The best course of action moving forward is placing a call to Jerry Jones and start negotiating a trade for Tony Romo. The Cards still have a nucleus to compete for a Super Bowl they just need a quarterback to lead the way.

If the Cardinals were one of the biggest disappoints the Falcons are definitely the biggest surprises of the season. No one saw Matt Ryan’s renaissance coming and if you did then you are a liar. Ryan has already thrown for 3,000 yards and 24 touchdowns to only 5 interceptions as he leads the league’s highest scoring offense. Having Julio Jones at his side has helped, but the supporting cast of Mo Sanu, Taylor Gabriel, Devonta Freeman, and Tevin Coleman (returning from injury this week) have been the difference. They’ll be fresh off a bye and matching up with a team that just went blow for blow with the top defense in the league.

Prediction: Cardinals 24, Falcons 31

Giants (-7) over BROWNS

Has there been a more underwhelming 7-3 team in NFL history? Maybe, but the Giants have to be in the discussion. They are still being outscored on the year yet they have been able to piece together seven wins. Don’t play yourself into thinking this team is like the Tom Coughlin teams of the past that lied in the grass until January then became unstoppable forces of nature. This team is average, but to their credit taken advantage of an easy schedule. Eli Manning was solid last week not turning the ball over, but he still forgets that Odell Beckham is on his team. If it weren’t for DeAndre Hopkins being so underused we’d be talking about the Giants not using one of the three best receivers on the planet properly.

Against the Browns Manning should feel a little more comfortable feeding Beckham the football. The only thing the Browns are playing for at this point is pride. They are still winless on the season, but suddenly have a beatable opponent in the Bengals next week. Josh McCown will take over starting duties with rookie Cody Kessler in concussion protocol again which should invite some turnovers for the Giants defense. McCown will look for Terrelle Pryor and Corey Coleman early and often, but in the end it makes no difference. The Giants are just better at every position which really tells you how bad things are in Cleveland.

Prediction: Giants 28, Browns 17

SAINTS (-7) over Rams

Last week’s loss in Carolina had to be deflating to the Saints, but up next they get a Rams team that is allergic to touchdowns. Returning to the friendly confines of the Superdome, Drew Brees should look to spread the wealthy early and often. The Rams were up 10-0 against the Dolphins last week before Ryan Tannehill spread the ball around, tossing up 14 unanswered points in a come from behind win. Brees can do that at an elite level as the Saints offense averages the most yards per game. Their last two games the offense has essentially been playing with weighted clothing against two stout defenses in the Panthers and Broncos, so this week they will feel unstoppable against a mediocre Rams unit.

The only chance the Rams have of winning this game lies on the shoulders of Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley. If Donald can prevent Brees from stepping up in the pocket and make him throw on the run they have a chance. On offense Gurley will have to cash in on a favorable matchup and control the game. The Jared Goff era picked up where the Case Keenum era left off leaving the offense with a grand total of 39 points in the last four games. Goff should have a strong outing against the Saints, but until the Rams prove they can score more than 20 points (something they have only done twice this season) they are heading into a shootout with butter knife.

Prediction: Rams 13, Saints 31

DOLPHINS (-7.5) over 49ers

What happened to the NFC West? It went from the best division in football three seasons ago to a wasteland where offense goes to die. Chip Kelly’s first year as 49ers head coach has gone as smoothly as sandpaper, but thankfully the season is winding down. They are somehow undermanned at every position except running back and possess zero threats on either side of the ball. Colin Kaepernick has been better than Blaine Gabbert, but then again my grandmother could probably come in and toss up a better QBR than Gabbert. Kaepernick once had the skill to play quarterback, but for some odd reason he forgot how to play the position.

Ryan Tannehill is the bizarro Kaepernick. For a majority of the time he lacks any skills that would warrant the $96 million extension the Dolphins gave him. Then there are moments where he looks like the quarterback the franchise has desperately been searching for since Dan Marino retired. A perfect example of those type of moments happened in the fourth quarter last week. Tannehill put together two touchdown drives to secure a huge 14-10 win. This week he’ll be able to rely on Jay Ajayi against a porous 49ers run defense and mix in some passes to Devante Parker and Jarvis Landry to cap off what should be a sixth straight win for the Dolphins.

Prediction: 49ers 16, Dolphins 27

Chargers (EVEN) over TEXANS

Just a warning to all–this game was picked with pettiness and anger, not logic. Bill O’Brien is a garbage head coach. He and his starting quarterback Brock Osweiler possess as much testosterone as a group of girl scouts and I’m still confused as to how both have not been lambasted by the media yet. Osweiler has yet to exhibit anything close to confidence and O’Brien has only facilitated the feeble mindset by doing stupid shit like PUNTING ON FOURTH AND SHORT WHEN YOU ARE DOWN 7 WITH THREE MINUTES LEFT AND ONLY ONE TIMEOUT. To make matters worse Jack Del Rio was faced with same scenario as O’Brien on the very next drive and guess what he did? He did what winners do–he went for it. The Raiders got the first down and the Texans never got the ball back. The message here is as long as Bill O’Brien is your coach just know your team will always lose in some form or fashion.

Philip Rivers would never be able to play for Bill O’Brien because he is cut from the same cloth Del Rio is. Rivers goes all the way or not at all. If faced with a do or die situation this Sunday the Texans will die and the Chargers will do. Despite being at the advantage at every position except quarterback and running back the Texans instill zero confidence in anyone rooting for them. I am done with the Texans and done with the O’Brien-Osweiler duo. Rivers should do enough to beat this docile bunch in front of their home crowd.

Prediction: Chargers 24, Texans 23

Seahawks (-5.5) over BUCCANEERS

The annual late season Seahawks surge is underway. Building off the momentum of their primetime win in New England the Seahawks devoured the Eagles. It was a signature Seahawks win in every facet of the game. The defense suffocated Carson Wentz and the Eagles. The offense made big plays including Doug Baldwin throwing a touchdown to Russell Wilson. Steven Hauschka converted two of his three field goal attempts. It wasn’t all good though– rookie running back C.J. Prosise injured his shoulder after an impressive start to the game and will be out until the playoffs leaving running back duties to Thomas Rawls yet again.

Rawls was supposed to be the guy from the start of the season, but injuries derailed that. Against a Buccaneers defense that is soft against the run Rawls will get his chance to win the lion’s share of work for the playoffs. The Buccaneers won’t roll over, they too have a winning streak heading into this tilt. Jameis Winston has had more time to think in the pocket since Doug Martin returned to action and the biggest beneficiary is Mike Evans. The third-year receiver has been great all season, but now that Winston has more time to think Evans will see more targets and better thrown balls. In the end the Seahawks are simply better at too many areas for the Buccaneers to not win.

Prediction: Seahawks 27, Buccaneers 16

RAIDERS (-4) over Panthers

If the playoffs started today guess who would have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs? No, not the Patriots, but the Oakland Raiders. At 8-2 the Raiders look like the best team in the AFC west of the Mississippi. They have mastered a key trait all good teams have which is winning games when they’re not on their A-game. Monday night the Texans played pretty even with the Raiders, but in the end Derek Carr hit Amari Cooper for the game deciding play and Jack Del Rio proved to have bigger balls than Bill O’Brien could’ve dreamed of. Returning home to their real home Carr gets an inviting matchup against a bad Panthers secondary.

What has happened to Cam Newton this season is anyone’s guess. The reigning MVP has not been sharp and when he has it has not been for the full 60 minutes. The same could be said for the Panthers team as a whole. Last week they were up 20-3 in the second half and had to hold on to win 23-20. Last season’s Panthers blow the doors open and win that game 41-20. I don’t know where the killer instinct went, but they better rediscover it while they still have a chance at the playoffs. No Luke Kuechly is what really turns this game from a toss up to a Raiders lock. The Raiders have the best offensive line in the AFC and with no Kuechly in the middle Latavius Murray could have a field day.

Prediction: Panthers 27, Raiders 34

Patriots (-8) over JETS

It was all good just a year ago. In just 12 months the Jets have reverted back to the “Same Old Jets”. The poor quarterback play is back. The poor pass defense has reared its ugly head thanks to Darrelle Revis exiting his prime at an alarming rate. For years it has been known that you can attack the Jets in the middle of the field, but now you can attack the middle and the outside. This has caused Todd Bowles to cut down on the blitzes which takes away the Jets’ main identity. The offense has been similarly bad led by Ryan Fitzpatrick’s fall back to mediocrity. Injuries to key guys like Eric Decker and Nick Mangold only accentuated the ugly and now the best hope for Gang Green is to get healthy and acquire a top draft pick.

The Patriots on the other hand keep on chugging. Tom Brady’s tear is back on schedule after sputtering against the Seahawks. In his Bay Area homecoming Brady was accurate and elusive in the wet conditions, easily destroying the 49ers defense. The Jets certainly pose a bigger threat, but if there is one thing Brady knows how to do it’s beat the Jets slowly. Dion Lewis and James White will play huge roles in this game as LeGarrette Blount is sure to be slowed down by the best defensive line in football. With or without Rob Gronkowski the Patriots should keep the Jets on the tanking path.

Prediction: Patriots 38, Jets 24

Chiefs (+3.5) over BRONCOS

With the Raiders in control of the division the Broncos and Chiefs will fight to keep pace. The Broncos had a week to rest up and prepare for this big game while the Chiefs were shocked at home by the Buccaneers. Something about the Chiefs seems off recently. They are not running the ball as effectively and the pass game has suffered because of that. Alex Smith has done his job, but missing Jeremy Maclin and Jamaal Charles is starting to takes its toll. Speed demon Tyreek Hill has shown that he can contribute, but Smith is not the first guy you think of when discussing quarterbacks who can bomb one down field. Still, Hill’s speed should play a bigger role with each week.

The Broncos offense is not much better. Trevor Siemian has been incredibly average this season given the weapons he has around him. The sooner Paxton Lynch can develop the better. DeMaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders have to be playing Madden 15 reminiscing on better times. Siemian will have to step it up in this game as does the offensive line and free up Devontae Booker. Since C.J. Anderson went down the run game has struggled and that has everything to do with the offensive line moving people. The Chiefs defensive line will be a strong test right away and force Siemian to make tough plays.

Prediction: Chiefs 24, Broncos 21

Packers (+3.5) over EAGLES

Few people want this season to be over than Aaron Rodgers. He has seen his team drop like flies each week to the point the defense barely exists. He hasn’t had a legitimate running back since Eddie Lacy hit IR. Yet all the blame has been put on Rodgers who has not looked himself to be fair. But if there is any reason for the Packers nose diving like they are Rodgers will be at the bottom of the list. The secondary has been a complete disaster, getting torched by Marcus Mariota and Kirk Cousins in consecutive weeks to the tune of 670 yards, 7 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. That is stupidity.

Carson Wentz should be salivating at the chance to face this beaten up secondary, but then he’ll remember none of his receivers can catch the football. Wentz’s numbers have dipped since his hot start, but that has more to do with Nelson Agholor and Jordan Matthews dropping the football. Wentz will have open windows it just depends on his receivers pulling their share. This will probably a sloppy tug-of-war, but the Packers simply need this more. Rodgers has to be tired of losing and media scrutiny and can use this game to remind everyone who he is.

Prediction: Packers 23, Eagles 21

---

Last Week: 9-5
Overall: 84-77