How To Be In A Relationship

5 things You Should Never Forget In A Relationship

These can be so easy to forget.

176

It seems that we always go out of our way to form to other's opinions and striving to look the best in someone's eyes. Especially with significant others. However, no matter who it is, never drift away from your true self because it will tear you down over time.

Last fall I was dating this guy who really changed me as a person. Things were great in the beginning…you know in that 'honeymoon' stage and all. However, over time, things got a little weird. He would tell me not to do certain things, like he had said "I don't like it when you wear leggings, don't do it anymore", "Why are you wearing a lot of makeup/that skimpy shirt, who is that for?", just to name a few. I did what he said and stopped doing those things because I thought it would make him happy, and I wasn't even thinking about taking care of myself, I just wanted to take care of him and make him happy.

Along the way, I got so invested in him, and he was never invested in me. He controlled me so much, I didn't even realize how bad it was until we were broken up. Where I drew the line was when he told me "You are too skinny, you should try and gain some weight because I like girls better that way."

Well, there was a spiral of other events that caused me to break up with him, but this was just part of it.

It's been about eight months since this happened. Since then I have put thought into what I have learned from being with a person like that. I have come to conclusion about a few things.

1. If your significant other doesn’t love you for who you are completely, then they are not your significant other, and are a POS.

2. DO NOT LET ANYONE CONTROL YOU. ONCE THEY START TO CONTROL YOU IT ONLY GETS WORSE FROM THERE.

3. Relationships are a two-way street. If one person isn’t willing to put in as much effort as the other, then it is time to walk away.

4. NEVER LOSE YOURSELF IN SOMEONE ELSE, BECAUSE OVER TIME IT BREAKS YOU DOWN.

5. Always be yourself. Never ever change for anyone.

Life is too short to have someone bring you down and damper your happiness. Love also isn't supposed to hurt, it is supposed to accompany your life's journey. You meet so many people in your lifetime. Don't let one person destroy who you are, and who you are meant to be.