NEVER Apologize For Being A Feminist
Politics

NEVER Apologize For Being A Feminist

This is not a bad word, don't give in and let others make you believe that it is.

41
NEVER Apologize For Being A Feminist
Olivia Bishop

I found myself through in the first semester of college realizing many things. One of them was realizing the importance of social issues. I was starting to find myself becoming someone that I never once thought I would be..."the F word." Feminism has become something that I never thought would impact my life so much. It has become a very important part of me.

In my sophomore year, I signed up for women studies classes. Not only did I learn so much about women as a whole, but many social issues both past and present were coming to my attention. Not just only how they happened, but why they happened. I became more conscious of the world around me and the people in it. It also allowed me to be more and more proud of being a black woman in a white male-dominated society. However the hardest part was having all of those things, yet some of my peers were not as understanding. Don't get me wrong, we've all had a problematic past but trying to get your peers to understand why you are a feminist is a bit of a challenge. At first, trying to even explain what being a feminist it was challenging. Everyone assumed that I was a 'men basher.'

This is untrue! Being a feminist is about being proud of the woman you are. It's taking responsibility realizing that woman should have the equal rights as men. It's a range of political movements that want to establish equality for all women. So any stereotype that you heard about all feminist being 'angry lesbians' or 'men hating women' are false and are negative stereotypes.

NEVER be ashamed to stand up for women's rights whether it's political or socially. Nobody should be afraid to speak up for something that you care about. Also if anyone tries to belittle you as that 'annoying feminist,' let them. Don't let this make you feel less of anything just because you care. I know there are 'some' men out there that probably feel that I give too many you know what's about social issues.

As a result of this, I've been attacked and accused of certain things that I would never care about doing. This is simply because I'm vocal about it on social media it's 'annoying.' In no way am I out here trying to get anyone to change their views about any subject, that is not my goal. I've had certain individuals delete me on social media due to them feeling attacked based on my strong opinion on certain issues, especially since we are now under the Trump administration.

For those individuals who have tried to make me feel bad or less of myself for being feminist, I have no reason to be sorry. I do admit I get passionate about certain issues, but I will never look at myself as a better individual than others.

The point that I am trying to get across at is being proud of something that others want me to be ashamed of. I will never be ashamed of being a black feminist under any circumstances. As for other women out there, be proud of the individual you are. Never try to make anyone care about the issues you feel strongly about, but just remind them why you do. Also, ask yourself why those individuals are shaming you. As for the men and women out there that support feminism and equal rights, it's rare to find so many of us. Feminist have NO reason to apologize!