NBA 2K18 Is TRASH, 2K Needs To Improve 2K19

Trash Mechanics. Trash MyLeague. Microtransactions. Check, check, check (and no, that isn't a reference to the money they make).

683

2k games has developed a monopoly in regards to a few of their games. The most obvious and culturally relevant game they make? "NBA 2k." It has developed an immense and passionate fanbase, dedicated to either rebuilding teams, staking a claim on the title of "GOAT," or playing competitively against other players online. However, monopolies have obvious cons; with no obvious alternative that is a great competitor, the quality of these games has declined precipitously. "2K18" has come to vex and perplex just about every 2K fan, and Ronnie 2K needs to improve this trash game.

First, let's talk about how essential microtransactions are to improving your game. For MyCareer, for you to level up your player, you have to grind for essentially days on end to avoid purchasing VC (the game currency) and to procure a high level of success with your game, especially if you are to use your character against fellow players online. There is also essentially a requirement to purchase currency to play against the well-established teams (hint, those teams have Steph Curry and others). It is 100% a broken system that serves as a money-making venture for 2K.

Next, the MECHANICS. Are you telling me I cannot make a layup in the post, just because I am being chased? That an open look 3, just because I released too early, won't go in? I also hate the fact that you are somehow able to step out of bounds, BUT, Giannis shook me by stepping out of bounds. Twice. Also, their passing is... perplexing. somehow, the center possesses the reflexes to snatch my pass out of midair, but I cannot get steals like that to save my life? I can't steal passes when they come up through the lane? OK then. The shooting feels broken sometimes, especially when players like Marcus Smart start draining three. Or Ben Simmons taking a shot outside of the key.

MyLeague is also annoying. It could be SO fun. It really could be an enjoyable experience. BUT there is so much wrong. One, the lottery odds shift on you constantly, and the teams that SHOULD be getting top picks do NOT end up procuring the picks (thanks for ruining my Bulls rebuild). Next, the trades are broken. Rudy Gobert is not coming to the Bulls for a top 10 protected pick and Kris Dunn. The Charlotte Hornets are not going to hedge their bets on Mo Bamba and trade away a franchise player like Kemba and get only that pick in return.

Development is also broken, and the good teams you build somehow can never score enough despite possessing the ability to (The Warriors, Thunder, and Cavaliers all provide examples of teams in real life of teams possessing three stars OR MORE that could average consistently high point totals). Also, tanking teams make the finals, and win, with the best scorer scoring 15 points per game? That is it? Really? Nah.

I am not some big fan of NBALive. EA is also a monopoly capitalizing on the market not providing a worthy competitor, and Live has been subpar for years now. However, 2K is going the way of Madden in that the game is declining in quality while still being the only option. For some consumers, this is the major purchase they make over the course of the year. No other games end up on their shelves, and they have the opportunity to lose their fanbase if it continues to decline as it has. Ronnie2K, PLEASE fix your game.