The 10 Greatest Players In NBA History

The 10 Greatest Players In NBA History

Apologizing to Kobe Bryant and his fans in advance.

445
The 10 Greatest Players In NBA History
Keith Allison

As the NBA Finals approaches and the season winds down, I started to reflect on the league’s history. There’s been a lot of gifted and amazing athletes that have played in the NBA. Unlike other team sports, one person really can win a game in basketball. This makes it easier to evaluate where players rank all time. After some serious internal debate and consideration, here is my top 10 players in NBA history.

10. Stephen Curry

Maybe this is premature but if he keeps playing at the rate he is now, he certainly deserves a spot on this list. Stephen Curry is the greatest shooter that has ever touched a basketball. Period. That along with his remarkable ball handling and passing have caused a shift of the NBA. Teams are playing at a faster pace than ever and shooting more three’s and it’s because of Curry. He’s a two-time MVP with playoff success and a 2-1 finals record so the accolades back up his resume too.

9. Bill Russell

Yes, he won 11 championships. However, Bill Russell played in an era where there were ten teams. Most of the players had to pick up second jobs in the offseason because salaries back then were so low. It’s safe to say that the level of competition back when Russell played doesn’t compare to the amazing athletes in today’s game. Over his career, Russell averaged 15 points-per-game, 22.5 rebounds and 4 assists. The rebounds are impressive, but in that era, Russell needed to be even more dominant to earn a higher spot on this list.

8. Hakeem Olajuwon

It would’ve been very interesting to see Michael Jordan matchup against Hakeem Olajuwon in the Finals of 1993 and 1994. Unfortunately, that never happened because Jordan had temporarily retired from basketball so he could pursue his baseball career. Jordan dominated the 1990s and had he played those two years, it is very likely that the Bulls would’ve made the finals and Olajuwon had the best chance of tarnishing Jordan’s perfect finals record.

7. Shaquille O’Neal

There is a solid argument for why Shaq shouldn’t be on this list due to almost never being in shape and being a locker room distraction. That being said, Shaq is arguably the single most dominant player to ever play the game. Shaq was almost un-guardable and the rules changed because of him. Zone defense was illegal before Shaq. Oh, and he was instrumental to the stronger infrastructure of basketball hoops.

6. Larry Bird

Larry Bird might’ve saved the NBA, along with Magic Johnson. That Lakers and Celtics rivalry planted the seeds for the NBA to become the exciting league that it has grown into. He was one of the best shooters in an era where elite shooters didn’t exist and he’s still one of the best shooters of all time. The 12 All-Star selections, three MVP awards and three championships also help earn his spot.

5. Wilt Chamberlain

Wilt played in the same era as Bill Russell, but there’s two major differences. He only won two championships, but he also averaged 30 points-per-game with 23 rebounds and 4 rebounds. I don’t care how many championships Russell won, he is not the better player. He had a better team but this is the kind of dominance he should’ve been producing to be considered better than Wilt. Wilt scored 100 points in one game and averaged 50 points in a season. That kind of dominance will never be replicated.

4. Magic Johnson

Magic was so good that he won Finals MVP in his rookie season during a series where he started at the Center position in game six for an injured Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Magic defined the point guard position and is the best that has ever played it. The three-time MVP has 12 All-Star selections, ten All-NBA selections and five championships. The only thing he hasn’t done is become the greatest Laker of all time.

3. LeBron James

LeBron is currently the best player in the world, and he has been for the better part of the decade. The most amazing aspect of LeBron’s game is his longevity. For him to statistically put up one of the best seasons in his career at year 15 in the league is remarkable. If he keeps it up, then he could become the league’s all time leading scorer. LeBron is a once in a lifetime type of player and he hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down. He belongs on the Mount Rushmore of the NBA.

2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Outside of Shaq, Kareem is the most dominant offensive player the league has ever seen. His patented skyhook was un-blockable and impossible to stop. He is the league’s all time leading scorer with 38,367 career points and six MVP’s and six championships with 15 All-NBA selections. He made ten All-NBA defensive teams so he did it from both sides of the floor. That’s only scratching the surface of his career. Kareem has the most impressive resume of all time, but there can only be one G.O.A.T.

1. Michael Jordan

Were you expecting anyone else? The five MVP’s, six Finals MVP’s, 6-0 record in the Finals with the numerous All-NBA and All-NBA defensive teams. Jordan may not have as impressive as a resume as Kareem, but he also played significantly less games. He only played in 15 seasons as opposed to Kareem’s 20. As Larry Bird once said, “I think he’s God disguised as Michael Jordan.”