Avery Johnson Moving To The Cavaliers Has UA In A Panic

Avery Johnson Moving To The Cavaliers Has UA Students In A Panic

Will Johnson make the leap back to the league?

332
upload.wikimedia.org

Since the firing of former head coach Tyronn Lue, the Cleveland Cavaliers have been searching for the right replacement. Normally in this situation, the top assistant coach would take over, but Larry Drew who held that position won't commit to coaching the team.

Whether he decides to take the job or not, Cleveland will still look for a long-term solution and me being curious about who they were looking for, I did a quick google search and nearly spit out my caramel latte (you heard me right). It said, "Rumor Avery Johnson discussed as Cavaliers' next coach."

Part of me was telling myself "Self, don't get worked up about this it's probably just some desperate blog trying to get some clicks."

Checked the link: It's from NBC Sports.

The hairs on the back of my neck rise.

My brain continues to ramble, "Well, even these big sports sites don't get it right all the time. They're probably just having one of their personalities do some speculation."

Read through the article: Found a quote from Brian Windhorst of ESPN, one of the most credible NBA sources on the planet.

"One interesting name being discussed by executives as a possible future coach in Cleveland is Avery Johnson," said Windhorst.

Me right now:

The reason that I'm having this mini-meltdown is that it just makes too much sense. Cleveland literally just drafted Colin Sexton who is the most electric human being to ever lay foot in Coleman Coliseum, and he and Johnson both had a really close relationship. In addition to getting a player of Sexton's caliber, Johnson also made Alabama basketball a respectable program. They were above .500 every season he coached and last year too the tide to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 6 years.

Look, it's great and all that Alabama basketball is finally competitive again but in reality that's really all they're going to be.

*Gasp*

I know, I didn't defend an Alabama sport to my last dying breath. But the writings on the wall here people, we're not going to turn this program into the football team. In this case, Johnson may think that he has done all he can.

Just look at the rest of the country people, they're just too many teams who have such big head starts on us in terms of past players in the NBA, program history, facilities, location etc. it just isn't fair. There are also teams who can convince players to turn down getting paid by one big-time school, to go play for another big-time school for free. You just can't beat that kind of greatness. In all seriousness, a school like Alabama just can't depend on players like Sexton to join the team every year. It's unrealistic.

On top of all of this, one factor that's worth mentioning is that this is his Avery Johnson Jr.'s last season. The second he's gone, other than a couple of players he recruited there really doesn't have a lot keeping Johnson Sr. put in T-town.

Yes, the Cavaliers are a mess and probably will be for the foreseeable future. But the glove fits WAY too good and will be keeping me up at night for the next couple of months.