My Response To "The Olympics Are For Humans, Not Horses"

Because horses do all the work, right?

59
Celia Whitcomb

There are very few things I get angry about, like really truly spitting mad about, and when I saw this article I was shaking I was so angry. This specific article addresses the presence of equine sports in the Olympics. This author, Patrick Redford, addresses his misunderstanding and hatred of those who ride horses. Throughout his article he makes statements such as

"I am sure that riding a horse and making it do horse tricks is a difficult skill to acquire and hone to an Olympic level. Also, though, you aren’t doing anything but riding a horse—far easier than running a marathon or lifting weights."

and

"The best you can say for dressage is that it’s the most ostentatiously aristocratic of the three Olympic horsey sports, but all horse sports are for the privileged, not the people. Most everyone can run. Not everyone can afford to run a horse around an obstacle course".

He even goes so far as to imply that equestrians abuse their horses. You can read his article for yourself here.

To my dear Patrick,

Thank you for providing the world with your opinion. You have wonderfully illustrated the arguments of many whom do not agree with these so called "athletic events" or have any sort of actual intelligence pertaining to the species "Equus caballus". Now does this language sound rich enough to you that you might just believe that I work with these animals?

If you would be so kind as to entertain my haughty and abuse-like comments just a moment longer while I attempt to explain to you, oh mighty warrior of the pen, how "Dressage" and "Eventing" could possibly be considered an Olympic sport.

Have you ever been around horses? Have you ever ridden one on a beach somewhere as part of your vacation? Maybe you've just watched the Olympics and saw one event that sparked your interesting opinion. Whatever the match that lit your fire, you should have done a little more research before exposing to the internet your uneducated rant.

I myself am an Eventer, I'm that snobby little brat that shoves her unwilling animal that does all the work into a dressage ring where we prance around. Then, because that's not enough, I force this poor equine to jump over large fences where there have been multiple death over the last few months. Afterwards, if we survive, I'll just punish him further by forcing him to jump more fences in an arena (don't worry this time the fences fall down). Yeah, I'm that type of "horse abuser".

My horse being abused in color dust that washed off, after playing in a creek

Let me explain to you something my dear, we don't have money. Most "horse people" don't have a lot of money. Horses require thousands of dollars yearly that most of us don't have. Usually we work to pay for our horses at the barns we board them at. If we do a chore or work a few shifts cleaning stalls and taking care of the other horses we might get maybe a hundred dollars off board that can cost from $200 to $1000 per month depending on where we live. Now that's a monthly payment and board? Yeah, that costs more than my rent.

On top of just paying board, that in some cases doesn't always pay for food for your horse, you have to also pay food, monthly farrier bills (you know the people who inhumanely nails horseshoes to a horses foot) which can cost around $150, any vet bills that might occur (random illnesses, routine check ups, routine vaccinations, and dentist appointments) so for a month that's a lot of money. Not to mention paying for any lessons, trainers, shows, trailering, and equipment that needs replacing.

Many of us work two or three jobs just to pay for our horses, so no the majority of us do not have money. Of course some celebrities and politicians (as you so kindly point out Mitt Romney) will have horses but that is not the reality of the equestrian world.

On to the whole "abuse" and "horses do all the work" aspect of your opinion. If I go more than a day without seeing my horse, he will throw shoes, injure himself (and/or barn staff), and create a possibility for me to be thrown the next time I get on. You really think I can force a 1200 lb animal that can easily kill me to let me get on his back and ride him around? Really? I'd have been dead a long time ago.

My horse, Louis, is an Off-The-Track-Thoroughbred (OTTB) who was born and bred to run. He is built like the Energizer bunny and just keeps going and going and going. When I pull out my tack, his ears turn forward, he nickers, and sometimes will prance in his stall. These are signs of him wanting to work. When I put that saddle on and we enter the arena we spend the whole time working and figuring out how to read and work together. I don't just let him run or beat him into submission. It's a give and take. I've had to learn how to tighten my core, move my hands to massage not to hurt, and give enough pressure to encourage him to listen. It's a partnership not a dictatorship. The professionals in the Olympics have taken years of hard work and dedication to get there. They've spent months at a time in hospitals for one injury or another, work out to condition themselves to be as fit as their partners, and hold themselves to an incredibly high standard. You don't see the muscles straining, the bruises and calluses, the doctors telling them, "One more fall and you won't wake up", the fear of knowing this could be their last ride, and the passion they hold for their animals. That's why they are the professionals, because they make it look easy.

Him clearly being forced and not enjoying the water.It's not. Riding is hard and exhausting and back breaking. When I get off after an intense ride I can't walk normally for at least an hour because my knees don't rotate right, my back is screaming, and my hands are aching. My calf muscles don't fit in normal boots, I can't wear long sleeves because my arms are too big. My body works hard to ride. I've had friends of mine who never ridden get on my horse and they moan in pain after from their aching muscles.So yes, equestrians deserve to be in the Olympics. We don't abuse our horses we adore them and work tirelessly to take care of them and make sure they're healthy and happy. Clearly I could go on and on about these animals but I won't.

I'm sure you'll just scoff at my words and pass them off as some angry "horsey" person, but I would like you to challenge me. Prove to me your point. I'd like to invite you to meet me and ride my horse. Come show me how easy it is and how abused he is. Open my eyes. Feel free to shoot me a message and we'll arrange it. I dare you to prove to me that you're right.

Come on, it's easy right?

Sincerely,

A snobby horse abuser