Why I didn't like my first professional massage

I Got My First Professional Massage & I Didn't Like It

You think a professional massage would feel great, but the whole time I kept thinking about how strange it is that a person I know nothing about is touching my entire body.

98
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-relaxing-relax-spa-56884/

As someone who has enjoyed the massage train for years, I was excited to get my very first professional massage.

I walk in and immediately and greeted with far too much enthusiasm. Customer service is important but I can read through it when it is forced. I am not more likely to buy the deluxe package if you flash fake smiles my way. She asked me way too many questions about my life right off the bat. Needless to say, I already felt undressed just standing in the lobby.

Next, I am given a tour which is completely unnecessary because there is only one room I actually go into.

When I finally meet my masseuse she says hello and just looks at me as if I am supposed to know to follow her. When I eventually get the hint the interaction is already awkward.

Then it gets worse.

She says, "undress to your comfort level". Which I am not a modest person so this doesn't really bother me. I have on a tank top and my undies. When she comes back into the room she said I would have to take off my tank top to do the full, and that is when I felt exposed.

You think a professional massage would feel great, but the whole time I kept thinking about how strange it is that a person I know nothing about is touching my entire body. Not to mention, since I wasn't sore my muscles didn't really need to be work through tightness so I didn't get a lot of benefits from it. I could barely feel anything at all.

I am someone who is comfortable with human contact, hugs, and affection, but no one touches my lower back or hamstrings on the regular. It is just strange that a stranger would. The more I think about it the concept of massage therapy is the weirdest thing. We pay people a good amount of money to touch us. It must be a very weird profession.

I was so curious about its invention I did some research. Apparently, massage therapy has been around in ancient Chinese and Egyptian cultures since 2700 BC. So maybe the rest of the world has had more time to digest the oddness of the occupation.

When she finished I was thankful the awkwardness was over, or so I thought. Afterward, they sit me down to do a consultation to try and talk me into buying a monthly package. From the beginning, I stated that I would be using a gift card and this was a one time treat, but the sales lady/ receptionist never got the hint. I didn't want to be rude, but I was honest about not wanting the package. Considering how pushy they were I could see some people purchasing an unwanted package just to get the interaction over with.

For some people with chronic pain going to massage therapy makes perfect sense, but for me, an average gal, it is not worth the money.

Overall my first professional massage was weird, but hopefully, if you ever get a professional massage it will be better.