Should I care?
Politics

My Biggest Problem Is That I Care Too Much, And It Should Be Yours Too

The world is so much bigger than the two of us.

366
Shamin Jamadar

If I had to name a flaw of mine, the first flaw to pop into my head is the fact that I care too much.

Unfortunately, unlike Ron Weasley, I don't have an emotional range of a teaspoon. While I often wish I did, I have come to accept that I will never, ever be able to simple "not care" or "stop worrying" or not be "reading too into" things.

I care about people who care about me, I care about people who don't care about me. I care about problems that I can fix, and I care ten times as much about the problems I can't fix. I feel on a Richter scale magnitude- those earthquakes have nothing on me.

From things as small as a text to looking at a picture of someone I may not be close with anymore, I care so much. If you ask any of my friends, its the reason for me and my friend's headaches as they help me work through my problems. I would say 99.97% of my problems root from this one aspect of my personality. Then I take a step back.

Yes, it really sucks to care so much about everything because I get hurt often. This hurt doesn't have to be intentional nor clear, but it still is there. But because of my quality to care too much, flourishes the other aspects of my personality that I am proud of.

I care immensely about my friends and am always checking up on them, regardless of when I last spoke to them or how far away they live. Because of this, I have some of the most amazing friends- no one's friends compare to mine, I refuse to believe otherwise.

I care too much and that is why I care about service and helping others. This is a passion of mine, to help others who need and want my help. I am adamant about volunteering in any way, shape, or form, regardless of how busy I am. I care too much about giving others a voice, no matter if I am being wronged, if my friends or coworker is being wronged, I will be the first to speak up.

I could go on about how this characteristic I possess is both a flaw and a blessing for me, but this is more than just about me.

As we progress, there has been a push for people to care less. This encompasses caring less about what other people think of you, about how you should care more about yourselves than others, and how life is better when you 'care less.'

To some extent I agree, we should care less about other's opinions. We should be proud of our flaws and our decisions and ourselves. We should stand tall for what we believe, uncaring of backlash. But there is an extent.

No matter what the trend is, we should never stop caring about our friends, our family, or important issues that are going on in the world. Yes, I know, you have your own problems to deal with. And yes, I'm sure you think that your opinion and thoughts won't really matter with the masses. But you're wrong. You should care, and you should feel pushed to care about worldly issues.

It is our generation quickly on our way to jobs, climbing up ladders and positions that give out voice a louder speaker. And even if not, we are empowered with social media and the internet- our opinions matter- our support matters! Don't let anyone think that you are dreaming too big when thinking you speaking up and being an advocate is a waste of time.

I know that I care, sometimes a bit too much, but I implore you to care. Care about the environment, about your local community, about hurricane relief projects, saving sea turtles, about anything your heart desires. The world is so much bigger than you and I.

I care too much, but you should as well.