Muji USA Opens Flagship Store On Fifth Avenue

The new take on retail

54

Japanese retail company, Muji, opened its U.S. flagship store on Fifth Avenue last week. What makes this store special is not only its fashionable allure, but its entirely unique operations.

With a black and white mural of the New York City skyline in a glass of half-full water, customers are greeted with a picture of optimism. Inside, shoppers are welcome to a large floor full of all sorts of treats. As at any flagship store, the apparel selection is the largest of their American stores. Muji sells organic knits and wools, and also recently launched a children's wear line. This Muji location is also the only store in the U.S. to carry their books on Japanese culture and design. And that's not all! Muji Fifth Avenue also carries typical home goods as well as products for all your travel needs, such as a colorful selection of suitcases and neck pillows.

Despite the luxury of having a plethora of products to choose from - the store holds a unique concept that is unlike any other we've seen. Women's Wear Daily calls it an "experiential concept." Customers are able to take their selected textile items to the embroidery station to be decorated with decals. For only $3 a letter, some may prefer to have their textile monogrammed. The first floor also features the Aroma Lab where shoppers are able to create a custom scent.

Need a break from all that shopping? Stop by the in-store Cafe Grumpy coffee bar for a drink and a snack or two.

The President of Muji USA, Asako Shimazaki, told Women's Wear Daily that "the whole purpose of this store is to show that Muji is not just products. We want to use these services to show our message to customers. We have everything — apparel, food, household items, furniture, skin care."

This new take on the shopping experience has the potential to change the retail game. Today customers want that kind of personal connection with brands. Millennials especially are looking for brands they trust, and for products that are of good quality with service that goes above and beyond. If this concept takes flight, there's no doubt many retailers may evaluate their store operations.