Maruchan Roast Chicken Ramen: A Roast Or A Boast?

A little review of everyone's guilty pleasure: 35 cent cup noodles!

51

Confession time: Whenever I would see one of these in my Walmart aisle, I'd avoid it.

As a ramen connoisseur, I'm supposed to be open to all flavors. Willing to try anything. There is no rule book on how to judge types of ramen, of course. However, if there was, that would be rule number one.

I dreaded trying this flavor. Not because I thought it wouldn't be good, but because I feared the worst. What if it tastes exactly like the chicken one? What do I write? Does that diminish it's quality, even though I'm a fan of the regular chicken flavored ramen? This is a ramen reviewer's worst nightmare and a problem I wanted to dodge.

Then, the other day, this Roast Chicken cup was eyeballing me, beckoning me to it as I realized that it was time I gave it a chance. A chance to prove my theory wrong.

So, what's the answer? Does it taste like the regular chicken ramen?

Let's dive into the Maruchan Roast Chicken Flavor.

The noodles were as expected from Maruchan, long, chewy and absorbent of the soup. These thin, stringy noodles are always a comfort and work in a beautiful union with the soup.

The soup is where we can actually distinguish it from the regular chicken flavor. At first sip, you think it's identical to the regular chicken flavor. A plain broth with some umami feel to it. This soup takes a few sips to kick in, or to comprehend. In the simplest of words, it is just a STRONGER version of the regular chicken flavor. It does have that "roast chicken" essence where you can smell and taste the smokiness of it a little. It has an extra oomph, a slightly bolder savory taste infused in it. It's difficult to note, but it is there.

The carrots and corn are very helpful in upgrading the whole meal. Though in the regular chicken ramen, I believe the vegetables hardly affected the taste, in this pack it is quite the opposite. They were a great addition and made the whole meal more satisfying and homey. However, I do wish there were peas in this. A dynamic trio of carrots, corn, and peas could have taken this to a new height. I recommend adding peas, or any other vegetable you want! The more veggies, the better.

Something I wrote in my review for regular chicken cup noodles (which you can find on my instagram: @sabeatsramen), was the wish for actual pieces of chicken. The roast chicken cup wins this round for actually having some! A little bland tasting but it does offer a little crunch. Small additions go a long way.

In order to enhance your ramen, I recommend adding egg! I think it complements the roast chicken taste well, and makes it even more comforting. Try squeezing a lime in there as well for a surprisingly tasty combination.

I give this ramen a 6/10. The roast chicken taste gives a sense of coziness through a wonderfully savory flavor!