Maruchan Spicy Shrimp Ramen: Hot Or Not?

An in-depth analysis of my favorite comfort food!

42

I know what you're thinking. Yes, this is basically a sodium bomb. No, that information will not stop me from wolfing it down.

I think we can all agree that these 35 cent packs of wonder are a staple of the American supermarket. A cornerstone of college life. You are one of few if you haven't turned to one of these bad boys in order to get some instant gratification. A hot meal, ready in 3 minutes. The simplicity of it is what really seals the deal.

I consider myself an expert on these microwaveable marvels and I'm here as a guide to the world of instant ramen.

Starting with this one: Maruchan Hot & Spicy Flavor with Shrimp

The noodles are thin and stringy. I appreciate the lightness of them and it is not overshadowed by the strong broth, it stands on it's own.

The soup is a force to be reckoned with. There is an interesting alliance of flavors here with the spice of the soup and the slight tang of the shrimp. There are subtle hints of the savory shrimp flavor evident in the soup. Though the spice mostly takes over, the shrimp can be definitely noted here. I personally don't find the spice overpowering and think this well bodied soup augments the noodles perfectly.

The carrots provide a much needed crunch into the meal, however I would have preferred to see more variety in the mix. The chives add a little sophistication, but I think more vegetables would take this soup to the next level. Corn, scallions, or onions could definitely enhance not just the taste, but the presentation as well. I'd definitely consider adding those if you want to jazz it up!

The little pieces of shrimp in this are surprisingly insignificant. They are hard to notice as there are only a few but they can be appetizing, if only there were more.

In order to give this ramen some extra flourish, I recommend adding more vegetables. Personally, I think scallions are a great addition, they're small yet give the whole meal a big boost!

Overall, I would rate this a 8/10. If you need a quick meal, this one will definitely satisfy your needs.