I Am (Not) Literally Shaking Right Now

I Am (Not) Literally Shaking Right Now

Trump has apparently triggered America.

177
I Am (Not) Literally Shaking Right Now

I have had little faith in our government over the past few years. Now, it has all come to fruition. As we all know by now, Donald Trump is going to be the next president of the United States. And no, that petition to beg the Electoral College to vote for Clinton is not going to work; she has already conceded and Congratulated Trump on his rather surprising victory.

Admit it, no one expected him to get this far. Literally no one. Yet by the time he took Ohio, my mind immediately knew what was to come: the entire world was literally shaking. I am not kidding, go on Twitter and search "literally shaking," it's quite hilarious. Granted, you're probably just going to find an ungodly amount of parodies, but, I promise, when Trump was first declared the victor, practically everyone was shaking in fear.

People are shaking because they feel that Trump is the epitome of everything that is wrong with the world. You know, the whole racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, islamophobic, xenophobic, etc. "basket of deplorables" nonsense? Yet, as I come to think of it, I have come to the decision that America does not realize how much mental gymnastics is going on to keep our collective sanities in check.

Let me say something controversial here: Donald Trump is not going to destroy America. He just isn't. Let's face it, this is not going to be a very productive four years. The economy is not going to get much better, our immigration crisis is definitely not going to be improved, and our manufacturing jobs are never coming back. But the one thing I am concerned about is our social integrity. But not the kind you may be thinking of. I am now a firm believer that America is its own worst enemy. We have been locked in a heated battle for the last eight months, and it shows just how unwilling Americans are to work with each other. All we want to do is call each other names and retreat into our own little corners and pretend our opponents don't exist.

What I am insinuating here is that the anti-Trump rhetoric used by the media and Clinton supporters is the very reason why Trump is now in office. Think about it. We have a natural desire to cheer for the underdogs. Have we heard a single word come out of the mainstream media that is actually supportive of Trump? Quite frankly, the answer might as well be no. Just like the whole "basket of deplorables" scandal, when you demonize an entire group of people—particularly the ones who are fed up with the crap the government is spewing at them—you're going to piss some people off. And who are the pissed off people going to migrate? To the one who particularly reflects their own perceived struggles: Trump.

Regardless of whether or not Trump is actually racist or sexist or whatever buzzword the media wants to throw his way, people supported him because of the things he advocated for: a restoration of our cultural integrity. We have been divided more than ever, and they see Trump as the way to put the pieces back together. That's not to say he actually can do it, as I do not know what the future holds. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, the point still stands that we cannot divide each other any more than we already have.

I want to forget this election with every fiber of my being. The way it corrupted the minds of so many people and truly destroyed our intellectual integrity has been painful for me to watch. And now that Trump has won, I know that people are not going to back down. There will be riots, violence, and I can only hope that people will calm down and take a deep breath. They will stop literally shaking eventually.