A Letter To Those Who Can't Leave My Hometown

I live in a town that everyone seems to hate, yet no one ever leaves.

483

Dear those who decided to stay,

Hey there! I know we haven't talked in a while but I hope you are doing well and living a great life. I see all the time on your Facebook and Instagram how well you are doing and that's great! Hopefully you are enjoying college or enjoying the path you decided to take! I'm sure you are wondering why I am writing this and you are maybe confused. Well the reason I am writing this is to say I'm sorry.

After high school I decided to move away to college that is only 3 hours away, but that is pretty far. So, I'm sorry that you got stuck in our hometown or in the surrounding area. I'm sure you see the same people everyday and run into old classmates all the time. Honestly, I'm sorry and I feel really bad for you. Luckily for me I don't have that problem, other than people I see everyday that are in my classes. I'm sorry you got stuck in a town with nothing to do. I mean, we have gotten a few updates, like possibly a new bike bath and a new restaurant, but besides that the town has never changed and I don't think it ever will. Now, I know most of you are nothing like me.

Some of you wanted to stay close so you could see familiar faces all of the time, but I didn't I couldn't wait to get out of that place and explore the world and my options. Being in a new place has taught me so much. I feel like being away has helped me learn who I really am and it has really helped me prepare for my future. Honestly, if I would have stayed I would have never had that opportunity. I meet new people every day and rarely see the same people every day, and I'm okay with that!

Through moving away, I have gotten to live so many new experiences. Going to concerts often, going to movies all the time, tailgating, and seeing new cities and finding hidden treasures. I consider this new place my current home and back where you all are is just my visiting home. Where my mom lives, where I come to on weekends and holidays. Yes, I will always love it there and will always enjoy going back, but this place and there do not compare to each other at all. I know that my family wants me to return there when I am done and start a family and let them grow up there, but I don't want that.

I don't like the idea of knowing my kids best friends parents and having known them for years and I really don't want to run into in the grocery store or at any restaurant anytime soon. I like meeting new people and always having the same people around is not good for me.

Yes, I hope you are doing well and that you are loving life. Hopefully in a few years we will see each other at a reunion or high school football game or something and we can tell each other about our experiences and life. I have gotten out of my comfort zone started experiencing new things and hopefully you can soon do that to. I have been able to explore some great new places and things and unfortunately from what I hear, you haven't, You try to leave and start new, but we all know you will always end up home where you began, and when that happens. Don't expect to see me at my old house in the front yard, because I won't be there.

Sincerely,

The One That Got Away