Cut The Nerd Loose: Indiana Comic Con

Cut The Nerd Loose: Indiana Comic Con

Sometimes you just have to get the nerd out.

32
Cut The Nerd Loose: Indiana Comic Con
Kathryn Ann Photography

The tickets have been purchased. The cosplay has arrived from China. Panels have been chosen, budgets for collectibles allocated, and celebrity meet-ups planned. Everything is prepared. It's officially Indiana Comic Con. The Indiana Comic Con held at the Indianapolis Convention Center on April 29th-May 1st was one for the books. There was everything from Pokemon free-style rap performances to a surprise guest reading of The Force Awakens script. It was nerdy, it was too crowded, there was a lot of latex, and it was glorious. But why should you care? You spent the weekend at Starbucks doing your online homework and catching up on Scandal. That's all fine and dandy, but if you've never been to a comic con it's time you add it to your bucket list. It's important to "get the nerd out" every once in a while, and there's no better outlet than comic con.

We're all nerds for something. You can be a nerd for comics or video games which is expected and practically synonymous with the term "nerd". Or you can be a nerd for something unexpected, like caves, Beyonce, baking competitions, or ukuleles. Whatever you're a nerd for, lean into it. Accept it. Own it. Feed your nerd every now and then. Indiana Comic Con had thousands in attendance this year, and we were among the lucky few who "got the nerd out".

Sure, it seems silly to dress up like a fictional character or a magical horse meant for children. Wearing a full latex suit in public can get you a lot of stares, but cosplaying at a comic con is creativity at its most fascinating stage. You can be anything, anything, and many find this to be a freeing experience. Who cares what people think? Who cares if you follow the book? Who cares if you're literally wearing a tail in public? Comic cons are an amazing way to let loose in a safe environment and experiment with your imagination. We talked to some cosplay enthusiasts about why they choose cosplay for their creative outlet.

Princess Leia (as pictured above) started cosplaying as a way to further her sewing skills. She made quilts as a hobby and said that beginning to make cosplay costumes "was a natural progression for her". But for her it's not all about getting better with the needle, she also made sure to point out that "I get to just have a lot of fun".

Fem!Goku (as pictured above with Dragon Ball Z Voice Actor Chris Sabat) believes cosplay is an icebreaker, a shortcut into "community". "You don't have to go up to someone and ask them 'Hey do you like Spiderman?' You just know. You become a member of a community that you know shares the same interests as you and are equally passionate about them."

It's true that the merchandise is over-priced. It's true that some people take it too far. It's true that there will always be at least one creepy Deadpool cosplayer that's just way into it. But you can laugh as loud as you want. You can talk to anyone you want. You can get excited about a passion that you may not necessarily want to share with your parents. You can be invincible. Who wouldn't want to be a hero for a day? It gives you confidence, charisma, and a chance to get creative with your personality.

If you think you're too cool to wear a costume or go to a place where people pretend to be superheros, you're pretentious. Letting the nerd out allows us all to access a piece of our childhood we want to keep tucked away; the part where we think we can be a hero when we grow up and that it is in fact possible to save the world. So let your nerd go crazy, in whatever way that may be! Go to a con, write some fanfiction, play an mmorpg, see that movie you're too embarrassed to see with your friends, take the collectibles out of your attic, or share that old sci-fi with your kids. Harnessing your passions and your creativity will lead to a leash on your personality. Being yourself means being your whole self, and sometimes it means even being the hero you want to be.

Indiana Comic Con was a blast in every way, especially to my wallet. Though I have to thank you Comic Con, thank you for letting my nerd out. Thank you for reminding me that creativity comes in many forms. Thank you for giving me the confidence to share that creativity with thousands of other people. I'll see you again next year.