Why I Cosplay

Why I Cosplay

I Love Cosplaying

102
Why I Cosplay
Tumblr

What is cosplay? Merriam Webster defines cosplay as “The activity of dressing up as a character from a work of fiction (such as a comic book, video game, or television series).” That’s the technical definition, but I’m sure if you ask 10 different cosplayers “what is cosplay?”, you’ll surely get 10 different answers. Cosplay means different things to every individual cosplayer. Here’s why I personally enjoy cosplaying:

1. The Character/Series

What better way to show homage to your favorite characters, other than dressing up like them? Personally, I would never cosplay a character or a series I do not enjoy. It would take the fun out of making (or buying) the cosplay, and wearing the cosplay. I usually cosplay characters I feel personally connected to. There has to be a special link between me and the character before I invest money and time into a cosplay I wouldn’t even enjoy portraying.

2. The Outfit

My favorite part of any cosplay I put together, is always the wigs. I love getting to wear a wig with my cosplay. To me, putting on the outfit is only the first half of the transformation into your character. Most characters are recognized by their hair or hairstyle, so when I finally put on my wig, the transformation finally feels complete. It’s when I look into the mirror and see myself in the outfit and wig, that I truly feel like I’ve become my favorite character.

3. Be Social

Cosplay has become such a social event and something for people to bond over. I recently attended New York Comic Con where my friend and I were dressed up as Ariel (Disney’s, The Little Mermaid) and Tinkerbell (Disney’s, Peter Pan), respectively. When were there, we ran into two other cosplayers dressed as Baymax (Disney’s, Big Hero 6) and we had an instant connection. Where I would normally stutter in starting up a conversation with a complete stranger, I already had something to go off of. We both shared a love for Disney so much. We may have not become BFF’s, but I was able to make a new, fellow Disnerd friend.

4. Creativity

Cosplay is the definition of DIY. Cosplayers go to great lengths to make every piece of their cosplay accurate and authentic. This allows cosplayers to take great pride in their cosplay when it’s finally finished and they’re able to show it off to fellow cosplayers. Even if you think you can’t make a professional looking cosplay, give it a try. You’d be surprised how well you would actually do. And remember, practice makes perfect.

5. Escape From Reality

Life is stressful. We all need something that helps us escape stressful reality, and into a world where we can take a break. For cosplayers, we escape into the worlds of the different comics, books, television shows, etc, that we love so much. We literally escape into their worlds by becoming a character from that universe. For the day, we are no longer ourselves, but our favorite character.

6. Me

Not only is it an escape from reality, but it’s also an escape from ourselves. Sometimes, it’s nice not to be me for the day. Don’t get me wrong, this is not an article about me, not wanting to be myself or anything depressing like that. It’s just, some days, it’s nice to escape yourself. Forget about all your personal worries and stress and become someone completely different. Personally, I like to cosplay my heroes, or character I look up to. Characters that I strive to be like, my role models. I enjoy cosplaying characters that I have a special connection to. To me, that’s what makes cosplaying worth it.