I'm Not A Bad Friend, You Just Don't Get It

My anxiety does not control me, but it does affect me.

59

There will be weeks where you hear from me daily wanting to do something or talk or anything. Then there will be weeks when I seem to disappear. I'm not being a bad friend, you just don't get it. When I disappear, it's not because I want to be rude, it's because my anxiety is acting up. Chances are I'm probably home in bed, snuggled under the covers where I feel the safest. That is my safe haven, where I control everything. When I control everything, I don't feel as anxious. Needless to say it probably isn't the best thing to do as an anxious person, but we get by doing as we do. I don't mean to be rude by not calling or texting you, and sometimes I feel all alone if I don't hear from you for awhile. The phone works two ways, but I'm not a bad friend and neither are you. You just don't get it.

So when I finally build up the courage to find some happiness in outsiders, please don't be rude when I send you a friendly text. Because that just makes it worse; it makes me want to crawl back in my seclusion. I'm not a bad friend, you just don't get it.

Anxiety is not an attitude. No, I'm not being irrational when it's at its worst— it is a really illness that millions struggle with. We are normal in our own way; our brains never stop working; we analyze everything; during the happiest times, we are anticipating something bad; and it's hard. But we live a normal life and try to be good friends. Please understand sometimes we just keep to ourselves and need our space. But I'm not a bad friend. You just don't get it.