I'm A Feminist And I'm Against Abortion

I'm A Feminist And I'm Against Abortion

You can advocate gender equality without having to give in to the pro-choice movement.

1526
I'm A Feminist And I'm Against Abortion
Google

In 1973, a national phenomenon overtook news stations and households across the globe. It has come to be one of the most controversial topics in religion and politics as well as remaining one of the Supreme Court's most memorable rulings. In 1973, Roe v. Wade declared a woman's right to an abortion "prior to the visibility of the fetus" legal.

In more recent years, with the publicity encompassing Planned Parenthood, both the pro-choice and pro-life movements have taken a dramatic turn. Twitter wars ensue over the topic, users growing enraged by the second over disagreements. There are many arguments for and against abortion today.

What about pregnancy in the case of rape? Or harm that could come to the mother?

Shouldn't women have the right to abort their baby as it is still a part of their body?

There are countless "gray areas" that come up with the topic of abortion, and yet the controversy continues.

Another controversial idea in today's society is the feminist movement. Several well-known celebrities like Katy Perry and politicians such as Hillary Clinton advocate the movement publicly, while others prefer to be silent warriors if you will. But feminism causes an uproar for different reasons than abortion. Abortion is seen for what it truly is, terminating the life of a child, while feminism is often confused with "man shaming." This is why I believe the term has such a negative connotation.

The definition of feminism is as follows: "the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes." No dictionary claims that feminism gives women the right to shame men or be placed above them, no matter how many women (or men) would like to believe that.

I am a feminist, by the definition of the word. I believe that women should have the same opportunities that men do in regards to work, pay and social status. Feminism advocates "women power" and shows countless women working together to better each other as well as the communities and world around them. In my opinion, feminism has helped women. In society, women have a tendency to tear each other apart and the world welcomes it. For some reason, women tear down each other more than men do, it seems. Shouldn't we be joyous that this new movement is bringing people together?

And contrary to what people say about feminism shaming men, there are plenty of men that identify as feminists! They see that women should have the same rights they do. Feminism often works for the betterment of both genders as well. Several organizations, such as HeForShe, advocate not only for equal work and pay opportunities for women, but emotional equality for men as well.

In a speech given in September 2014, UN Women Goodwill Ambassador Emma Watson stated, "I’ve seen my father’s role as a parent being valued less by society despite my needing his presence as a child as much as my mother’s. I’ve seen young men suffering from mental illness unable to ask for help for fear it would make them look less “macho”—in fact in the UK suicide is the biggest killer of men between 20-49 years of age; eclipsing road accidents, cancer and coronary heart disease. I’ve seen men made fragile and insecure by a distorted sense of what constitutes male success. Men don’t have the benefits of equality either."

The HeForShe organization destroys the notion that true feminism is somehow unequal. The only problem I have with the idea of feminism, which I state openly and unashamedly, is the fact that majority of feminists support abortion, or what they call, "the right to make decisions about [my] body."

I have never agreed with abortion, but I choose to practice the Christian principle of "love the sinner, hate the sin." I believe that you can love and respect another person without having to agree with them. And contrary to what some of my peers have argued, I do not "hate abortion because I want to punish nonmarital sex." Frankly, that is absurd! I do not want to "punish" anyone! To even insinuate that just shows ignorance. And also, plenty of married people have abortions...

I do not disagree with abortion and the so-called "woman's right" because I'm a conservative prude or a bible thumping maniac. I disagree with abortion because it is murder, plain and simple.

One thing that I've always felt is extremely hypocritical about our society today is our views on abortion v. childhood death. As a nation, we weep and cringe at early childhood mortality and people who murder babies outside of the womb and yet, we find no problem ending a life when we can't physically see it. Society has no problem ending the life of someone who can't even fight for it on their own.

We punish murder by jail time or the death penalty, but accept the thousands of innocent lives that are taken every year. That doesn't make any sense! And in terms of the argument, "It's not a baby," YES IT IS. But let's just pretend for a moment that a fetus is not a baby until it's born. Even then, it is still an approaching life.

In the words of Jonas from the movie The Giver, "They hadn’t eliminated murder, they’d brought it home. They just called it by another name."

So, I am a feminist, but I continue to be pro-life and anti-abortion. I do not believe that it is the right of a woman to end a life she was given to protect and care for. Even adoption is better for a child than no life at all.