How Working Out Changed my Life

How Working Out Changed my Life

Working out is more than just beneficial to your body.

2373
How Working Out Changed my Life
Google

“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.” – Jim Rohn.

I believe working out betters your life because it gives you the strength to be happy. I have been involved with some form of working out my entire life. I played soccer all my youth through AYSO and even came in first place one year. Currently, I work out fiveor six times a week, but started at three times a week. Find your motivation and get inspired to start changing your life.

Working out is good for you physically and mentally. Just try it; you don’t have to prove anything to anyone. Experiment and see what you like and do not go all out the first time. A big trend recently for young girls and women is the thigh gap; this is not natural for those who don’t have naturally wide hips-- do not aspire to look like someone else, but rather express their morals and values.

A couple years ago, I decided I wanted to change my life for good. I was motivated to exercise because I had been depressed for a while, and my mom thought it would be good for me. We toured a couple gyms, and I ended up joining the gym corporation Equinox. Going to the gym did help me escape my depressed state of mine for an hour. I would just focus on my physical health and put on music that pumped me up. I fully immersed myself in whatever machine I was using. There were no distractions for me because I was determined to tone my body.

Going to the gym is a rite of passage for me; I cannot imagine my life now without exercise in it. I always feel better physically after a good workout, and that evolves into a better mental state for me. Find your inspiration that gets you going. If you have an idol whose body you love, work hard towards being in the same, or close, physical shape as that person. Though don’t overwork yourself.I personally don’t have a specific idol, but whenever I see really fit and healthy girls appear on my Tumblr dashboard, it makes me more motivated.

Your inspiration could even be to create a better life for yourself. If you are not at first excited, I would say: buy workout clothes. This activity will definitely getyou excited. There are tons of cute athletic wear places like Athleta, Lululemon, Nike, Adidas, etc. After buying new clothes, you will definitely want to show off your new gear. Confidence comes from within, so if you feel good about what you’re wearing then you will exhibit those same qualities.

Exercise is good for you physically and mentally. It also increases endorphins, which leads to you getting a natural high. Sometimes when I’m cycling, my legs start to get tired, yet I push myself even harder. I think of all the physical benefits to pushing myself even further: more calories burned, increased stamina, help with everyday activities because of strengthened muscles. I get a second wind of energy that allows me to pedal faster and harder.

According to the Mayo Clinic, “the health benefits of regular exercise and physical activity are hard to ignore.” Exercise controls weight. When one engages in physical activity, one burns calories. One simple way to change your daily routine is walk up a flight of stairs instead of taking the elevator.

Exercise also helps fight health conditions and diseases. Good cholesterol is boosted. Exercise improves mood. Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. You also get a boost of energy while working out. Oxygen and nutrients are delivered to your tissues and help your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. A minimum of 30 minutes a day is all that’s needed to get your blood flowing and breath heaving. One also gets better and deeper sleep.

Exercise should be fun, and there are so many ways to get up and move. Figure out a time that works with your schedule. Go outside and be active in any way or form, if you don’t like being indoors. Take a walk along the beach (calve muscles!), go swimming, run outside, take your dog to the dog park, etc. Indoor activities include:

• Pilates-- art of controlled movements; puts emphasis on alignment, breathing, developing a strong core, and improving coordination and balance.
  • Dance-- many types of dance like: hip hop, ballet, tap and contemporary.
  • Yoga-- hot yoga, power yoga, restorative yoga, Bikram yoga, Hatha yoga, etc. Yoga stretches you and clears the mind.

Many of these activities listed above are helpful for lowering depression (swimming, dancing and yoga) according to WebMD. Join a gym: Equinox, Planet Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness or even go to USF's Koret Gym for “free.” You have the option to use a personal trainer who can teach you the basics of each machine and show you routines that you can follow on your own. Don’t start by lifting 50 lbs. when you have never worked out before. Start low and build up your ability to lift more. Allow yourself to go out and try new things that benefit you.

Once you start working out, you will see the world through a new lens.