How to Make Your Own Happiness

How to Make Your Own Happiness

10 Simple Steps to Feeling Good.

8
How to Make Your Own Happiness
Emily Schultz

I know that staying happy can be a challenge at times. I am the type of person who needs to use all of her resources sometimes just to handle stress. Regardless, there are a few things you can do to make yourself happy. Here is what I have come up with, I hope it is helpful and feel free to leave feedback on the post if it resonates with you or if you want to share your own tips.

1. Find something you are passionate about.

Whether it’s going on hikes to get fresh air and appreciate the beauty of nature, playing and instrument or crafting your very own bracelets….find something that inspires you and stick with it. You may become discouraged at first and think ‘Gee when will I ever be good at this?’ That is exactly the point that tests you and you need to push through it. Whatever doubts you carry with you, push those aside and put effort into your chosen pastime.

�2. Make a list of what you think you can do, and find confidence in it.

Make a list of your own capabilities. It could be that you can tell a good joke as a good icebreaker, you can play a mean game of pool, or that you are good at creating art. Either way, it helps you recognize that you do have abilities that you can work on and share with others. It helps you build self-confidence and set goals to improve your abilities.

3. Make a list of what you could work on doing, and commit to improving it.

You can make a list of things that you have had some experience in, but definitely need work on to become proficient. This may be an activity like fishing or tending a garden. Maybe you have trouble casting a line or forget to remove the weeds from your garden. You can tackle each activity one at a time to devote your attention to just one so you can easily improve upon it. Once you commit to one activity, see it through. Even if you find out you simply do not possess that ability, it is a lesson learned and you can move on to the next one. The only way you can know though is if you try!

4. Reach Out to Your Social Group.

Whether it is a good friend or an acquaintance you want to get to know, spending time with peers is an important part of learning and growing. The support of your friends and family helps you through turbulent times and makes you stronger as a result. It is okay to ask for help now and again, it is a sign of strength. It is also good to have the self-awareness to know when you need help.

5. Believe in Yourself.

.

This can be one of the hardest steps to accomplish. There may be so many reasons why you may feel unworthy or inadequate, but when it comes down to it, it is so important to have faith in yourself. Instead of feeling like the world is out to get you, think of it as a challenge that you have the resources to face. This empowerment will lead to good outcomes now and in the future.

6. Be the Change You Wish to See.

Is there a cause or campaign you want to join but always find a reason for not joining? Volunteering is one of the best ways to meet people and do good for other people. Whether it is volunteering at a local shelter or cleaning up the streets of your hometown, you can help your community and feel good about making a difference. You never know whose life you may touch simply by devoting some of your time giving to others. This is a mood-booster and helps others, a win-win as far as I am concerned.

7. Clean and De-Clutter Your Space.

This may sound a bit like your mom scolding you, but the principle is actually quite helpful. To organize and clear some of the debris around you helps to clear mental space. It is like clearing old pictures from your phone or cleaning out the hard-drive of your computer. It allows more breathing room and to feel like you can move about easier. Who knows, you might even find some sweet mementos from your childhood!

8. Cook Some Meals at Home.

It is good for the soul and the belly! It is healthy to eat a few home-cooked meals once in a while and being able to cook for yourself is a valuable skill. It can be a fun experiment to try new foods and cook new dishes. You could sample dishes from around the world and make it a challenge!! Cooking can be fun and beneficial.

9. Take the Time to Watch ��the Sun Rise.

It is important to take time to enjoy the simple things in life. The beauty of a sunrise, especially on the water, is definitely one of them. It can take your breath away, or make you ponder certain life decisions. You may just sit in the sun's rays and meditate, closing your eyes and focusing on inhaling and exhaling. It may feel like time slows to a crawl and you may even feel like it is a moment you can look back on with joy and contentment.

10. Go For a Hike, Walk or Other Preferred Active Engagement

It is important to find an active pastime that you love, whether it is indoors outdoors, (though I tend to prefer ones that are outdoors). It is fun to hike in the woods or up a mountain or even just take a walk around your neighborhood. The fresh air and exercise does wonders for you. Exercising indoors can also give you the endorphin rush you desire sans the fresh air. The exercise is the key here. It keeps your muscles and bones strong and keeps your mind nimble. So find that fun activity that gets you moving!!!