5 Ways To Find Motivation To Exercise When You Feel Lazy

Staying fit doesn't have to be a chore.

86

Working out for most people means going to the gym, using the machines, lifting weights, or running on the treadmill. But, that does get redundant. During COVID-19 times, many fitness centers are closed and gyms are inaccessible, making us think outside of the box and find creative ways to work out at home. However, if your morale is low and you're not sure how to find that motivation, here's a quick guide that has helped me in my fitness journey!

1. Find an activity you like

Photo by Clem Onojeghuo on Unsplash

If you like hiking, go on a long trail and keep track of your activity through a FitBit watch or a fitness app on your phone. If you like swimming, go to the pool and swim laps. When you want something a little more intense than yoga, try Pilates. There are so many different ways to stay active aside from just going to the gym, so it's time to get creative!

2. Set aside specific time to exercise

Photo by Alexander Redl on UnsplashCreate a group and build your networkLear

Create a schedule for your days and set aside even just a half-hour to do a work out, that way you have to hold yourself accountable to cross it off in your planner. It'll help you get in the right mindset, too. Even just a brisk walk in between classes can do wonders for morale.

3. Find a workout buddy

Photo by Luis Quintero on Unsplash

Exercising with friends is a great way to have someone else keep you accountable if you tend to give up on yourself. Because then, you'll feel bad to cancel on somebody and it'll feel more like bonding time instead of a chore. It's a concrete plan, and your workout buddy will remind you if you forget!

4. Take your workout outside

Photo by Jared Rice on Unsplash

Personally, working out outside on a beautiful day does wonder for my mood. It gives you a break from sitting home all day and helps you get your mind off the rest of your responsibilities, allowing you to focus on just exercising. Vitamin D is important, get out in the sun! Spend some time in Mother Nature and get some much needed alone time

5. Get a fitness app or gym membership

Photo by Anupam Mahapatra on Unsplash

Chances are, you'll be more motivated to work out if you're paying to take classes. Besides, taking a wide variety of classes for different activities will allow you to develop new interests and not get bored of doing the same exact things repeatedly. Having a trainer leading the class means that they can correct your technique, offer you words of encouragement, and make you push through those difficult exercises!

Exercising doesn't have to be miserable. What you put into it is what you get out. Just working out for 30 minutes a day, doing something as simple as walking, can make a big difference in your mood, health, and mindset. It's also a great coping mechanism, a good distraction, and an activity that you can do just about anywhere and anytime.