Here's Why Spending Time Alone Is Important

In our current culture, there is a disconnect when it comes to the value of relationships. Some people do not know how to be without a partner and are always in a relationship or looking for marriage, while others can’t commit and stray away from the traditional partnership, clinging to their single lifestyle. I think you need to find middle ground between the two. It is important to be content with yourself whether you are alone or in a relationship. People often talk about the importance of relationships. "What is the point of living if you do not focus your time on connecting with others?" I am not saying that a life of solitude is better. I am just arguing that you cannot let the desire to connect with others get in the way of figuring out what you want to get out of life.

You must learn to take care of you. There is nothing admirable in counting on someone else to take care of you. This does not mean you can’t ask for help. Know the difference between taking advantage of others and genuinely needing help. Stop being influenced to behave the same as people around you. When you spend time alone you learn who you are without the interference of others and that’s how you should act no matter who you are with. Explore unaccompanied. Know the difference between isolation and having quality time in solitude. Isolation is the extreme of alone time, and it is not healthy. Learn to tell your emotions apart. You may think you feel lonely, but maybe you are just bored. It is important to know the difference. Understand your value. When you start to truly like who you are, you will begin to realize your worth. This is beneficial to you because you will stop letting others take advantage of you. Whether it is a friendship or a romantic relationship, you must give each other time apart. You may think it is good to spend all you time together but that can lead to getting tired of each other or feeling suffocated. Time apart will inspire you to make the time you spend together significant instead of a habit. Try things you have never done before.

Overall you will live a life that you are proud of if you take the time to first figure yourself out and then appreciate who that is. Relationships are important, but they are pointless if they get in the way of you loving who you are. Relationships should always enhance life, and if they are not, than you need to end them. Be proud of who you find yourself becoming, and you will be happy with your life.