How I Am Strong

How I Am Strong

I was asked "How are you strong?" and the answer wasn't as simple as you might think.

31
How I Am Strong
Skyler Anderson

When I took a look at the question, "How are you strong?" I had to take a step back and really think about the question. Maybe a few years ago I would have told you I am strong because I hold girls up in stunts and just being a cheerleader made me strong. These days, after self-reflection and the days of cheer being gone, my answer has changed a bit.

My first thought is, well, I'm not really that strong at all, I can't carry all the heavy boxes and I can't run a mile without being winded. But then I thought about it more and realized I am a lot stronger than I give myself credit for. If we were strictly talking about physical strength, people might not see it at first but my body is stronger than you think. I have overcome so many adversities with my body, from torn ligaments to bulging discs to two hip surgeries to blood clots, I've put this body through hell and back and yet it still carries me with grace, even if that comes with a few aches and pains.

That being said, I think this question covers a lot more than physical strength, mental strength is the key here for me. While my life has been incredibly fortunate, I have had hardships. I could have let so many things tear me down in my lifetime. I have lost my grandparents, I have moved across the country and lost more friends than I can count, I have been hurt by people more than I care to admit, and I have bared through the mental toll of physical ailments and troubles. I have suffered severe and mild anxiety and continue to battle it, doing my best to stay rational and know more about myself in order to help myself. So though my life is good and wonderful, there were rough patches.

But yet, I have stayed true to myself as much as possible. I have remained an intelligent, independent, loving, and caring woman. I have worked hard to save my outgoing and optimistic personality, even when others have tried to get rid of it and even when they almost did. But here I am, through it all, I am still hopeful for the future and incredibly blessed with the life I have right now.

I am strong because I haven't let people break me. I am strong because I have been strong for others. I am strong because I have truly looked into myself and come out a better person. I am strong because I have been weak. I am strong because there were times when that was all I could be. I am strong because of things you may never understand. I am strong because I have persevered and NO ONE can take that from me.