#HockeyNight

#HockeyNight

A hockey inspired playlist for Chicago Blackhawks fans

24
#HockeyNight
cbssports.com

Summer 2K16 was an exciting one for the books in the world of sports in Chicago. The Chicago Cubs took the MLB by the horns and raised the hopes of thousands of fans that “this is the year.” The Chicago White Sox have been having a roller coaster season and are keeping their fans on the edge of their seats. The Chicago Bears have started their pre-season and hopefully can give fans a successful season.

However, while the majority of Chicago is soaking up the sun at Wrigley, U.S. Cellular, and Soldier Field, some of us are still dragging our way through the NHL offseason and missing the inside of the United Center more and more each passing day. Luckily, the World Cup of Hockey is coming up to help satisfy our hockey-watching needs, but the official season cannot come quick enough.

Chicago Blackhawks fans have come to be very greedy and very accustomed to having the Stanley Cup in our city and having rally parades every other year, and this of course all started back in 2010 when the Blackhawks ended the 49-year drought when they defeated the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 6 of the Final. Since then, we’ve won the Stanley Cup two more times; back in 2013, the year of the shortened season courtesy of the lockdown, the 24-game streak, and the famous “17 seconds.” And then once more in 2015, the year where, on paper, the odds were stacked against the Blackhawks, and the documenting of the longest Blackhawks game in franchise history, a triple overtime playoff game. Three Stanley Cups in seven seasons, and if the pattern continues, the 2016-17 season is our year.

Unfortunately, Blackhawks fans will have to wait for Opening Season on October 12th where they will take on long-time rivals, the St. Louis Blues. However, one way to pass the time is to listen to music. So, I have constructed a Chicago Blackhawks inspired playlist that will hopefully help pass the time until Opening Day and decrease the agony.

1. "Chelsea Dagger" by the Fratellis

The song that the other 29 NHL teams and all of their fans hate to hear, but drive Blackhawks fans wild. Taking the full-time position as the goal song during the 2009 playoff season it has become one of the most requested songs in the Chicagoland area. Hit the Dagger.

2. "Busy Earnin' " by Jungle

A song featured in a fan-made video portraying the 2015 Playoff Highlights, this song took over the section of the Chicago Blackhawks winning their way past the Nashville Predators in Round 1 of the playoffs.

3. "Rollercoaster" by Bleachers

A song, featured in the same fan-made video mentioned above, and also making an appearance on the Chicago Blackhawks Pandora station in a description of songs that are played in the locker room.

4. "The Days" by Avicii (Hendrik B Remix)

Featured in the fan-made video, listed in the section of the Blackhawks sweeping the Minnesota Wild in Round 2 of the 2015 playoffs.

5. "I Lived" by OneRepublic

A song that was featured on the official 2015 NHL Playoff Playlist and one of OneRepublic's most touching songs. Also featured in a video that covered Round 3 between the Blackhawks and the Anaheim Ducks in the 2015 playoffs.

6. "My House" by Flo Rida

The last of the songs from a fan-made video that covered the Final Round of the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs between the Blackhawks and the Tampa Bay Lightning. A song that has become very popular among Chicago fans and can be heard being sung as fans enter the United Center.

7. "Walk" by Kwabs

A song that was featured on the Chicago Blackhawks Game Night playlist avaliable on Spotify, which consists of songs played throughout the United Center.

8. "My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark (Light Em Up)" by Fall Out Boy

A song that was used for playoff promos back in 2013.

9. "Centuries" by Fall Out Boy

Making the official 2015 Playoff Playlist, this song was used for promoting the playoffs.

10. "Victorious" by Panic! At the Disco

Making the official 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs playlist, this song was used to promote the first round of the playoffs.

11. "Fire" by Gavin DeGraw

Another song that was featured on the official 2015 NHL Playoffs playlist that also helped promote the playoffs.

12. "Something Big" by Shawn Mendes

A featured song on official NHL Playoffs playlist that was one of the more popular songs that was used for promotion.

13. "Superheroes" by The Script

The last of our songs to be featured on the 2015 Playoff playlist, but one used for promotion and highlights.

14. "Raging Fire" by Phillip Phillips

The song that was used in the "Top Moments of the Year" video at the NHL Awards for the 2013-2014 season.

15. "Warriors" by Imagine Dragons

The final song on the playlist and another feature of the official 2016 NHL Playoff Playlist that was used in promotion of the playoffs and highlight clips.

Hockey season is almost upon us again Chicago fans, so sit back, listen to some music, and watch the Cubs and Sox battle it out while we wait to hear Jim Cornelison's booming National Anthem, hear the goal horn sound, and sing along to the Dagger.

The fan-made 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs highlight video:

The NHL Awards video with "Raging Fire" by Phillip Phillips: