35 Underrated Songs Everyone Should Have In Their Playlists

Some hidden gems that you maybe haven't heard of, or maybe re-discovered.

57293

I think it's safe to say that everyone enjoys music -- whether it be classical, pop, rock, electronic, alternative, R&B, whatever genre you can think of, everyone is listening to something. The thing that is so great about everyone having different tastes in music is that you might discover something you really like that you would normally never listen to -- and thanks to AUX cords, we are constantly hearing new songs -- unlike the radio which has the same top 40 songs in constant rotation. So without further ado, here are 35 songs that are underrated or have fallen to the wayside. Maybe you've heard of them, maybe you haven't, but hopefully you will find something new to add to your playlists.

1. "All Time Low" -- Jon Bellion feat. Travis Mendes

Bellion is steadily becoming more and more popular. He's just starting to become relatively big now, but before he started getting more recognition, this is one of the first songs I ever heard by him. I'm typically not into music with an "electronic" sound to it, but Bellion's voice is so mesmerizing that you can't help but keep this song on repeat for days on end. If you like this song, then you'll definitely like his other material if you've yet to listen to Jon Bellion.

2. "Arcady" -- Peter Doherty

If you've ever imagined what song a fun montage of your best road trip would be set to, it's this song.

3. "Baewatch" -- Mallory Merk and Kydnice

Okay, so this isn't a song you can find on iTunes or Spotify, but you will find it on SoundCloud (awesome for discovering new music and artists). Mallory Merk is a 15-year-old (yes, the girl flawlessly singing and rapping this song is only 15) model based out of New York City. You might have seen her on a giant billboard inside of an Adidas store modeling Kanye West's newest Yeezy Season collection -- so not only can this girl model, but she can also sing with the best of them. She is definitely one to watch, because she could be the next big thing. Even if she isn't, this song is still incredibly catchy and impressive.

4. "Can't See The Light" -- Reuben And The Dark

Listen to this song once, and you'll be hooked.

5. "Colorblind" -- Counting Crows

This song isn't necessarily underrated, but it has definitely fallen to the wayside. Both the lyrics and instrumentals are beautiful, and it's a good song to just zone out to. This is more of a rainy day song, because it isn't the most uplifting, but it is nonetheless still a great song.

6. "Crowded Room" -- Loose Buttons

If you're looking for a good song to just chill and vibe to, this is it. Loose Buttons has a lot of great songs you should be listening to, but this is definitely one of their best. I did an interview with them a few months ago, so if you want to learn more about them, you can read it here.

7. "Dark Blue" -- Jack's Mannequin

Once again, this isn't an underrated song, because it did have its time to shine -- but it has fallen to the wayside. This is an awesome early 2000s throwback song, and it will never get old. It'll also put you in a great mood.

8. "Elysium" -- Bear's Den

This song is extremely cathartic and it's impossible to not like it, especially after watching the music video. I'm pretty sure I have this song in every single one of my playlists, and if I don't, then I'm about to add it.

9. "Fall for You" -- Secondhand Serenade

It doesn't matter what kind of music you enjoy -- you have definitely jammed out to this song at least once in your life. This song was every emo/scene kids' favorite song to sing at the top of their lungs. Again, this isn't underrated, but has most certainly fallen to the wayside. I don't think there is a single person who hasn't tried to nail the high note key-change in the bridge.

10. "Fast Car" (Cover) -- Boyce Avenue feat. Kina Grannis

Everyone knows "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman, and if you don't, then you need to stop living under a rock. The original is, of course, perfect, but this cover is absolutely incredible. This is one of my favorite road trip songs.

11. "Feel Good Inc" -- Gorillaz

Every kid who grew up in the 2000s knows this song, and they know how great it is. This song has fallen to the wayside and is also now underrated, and that needs to change.

12. "Fever" -- The Tragic Thrills

I don't really know what to say about this song. It's fantastic and you'll soon find yourself singing it at the top of your lungs.

13. "From Gold" -- Novo Amor

The perfect song to listen to when you just want to relax and zone out.

14. "Graveyard Whistling" -- Nothing But Thieves

This is another cathartic song and it's catchy as hell. For some strange reason, it's even better to listen to during a car ride in the fall on the East Coast. You will feel all the feels.

15. "Handlebars" -- Flobots

This song was pretty big when it came out, but has since become a thing of the past - -it is time to change that.

16. "Heal" -- Tom Odell

This is another good rainy day song that will make you feel all the feels.

17. "I Believe" -- Basic Vacation

This song had a very brief time to shine and quickly faded away. However, everyone should have this song in rotation because it's an awesome pick-me-up and will also make you feel like you can do anything.

18. "I Mean It" -- G-Eazy feat. Remo

G-Eazy is now a pretty big name, but when this song came out he was just becoming somebody in the music industry. If you look him up on iTunes, this is his most popular song, but you will not hear it as much as "Me, Myself, and I." This is the song that truly deserves a lot of recognition though, and it really showcases G-Eazy's talent.

19. "I Hate California" -- The Last Royals

Another good song to just chill and vibe to.

20. "Infinity" -- AJR

AJR made it big last summer with their hit song "I'm Ready," but have since faded away. They're still making music though, and good music at that. This song showcases more of their instrumental and vocal talent than "I'm Ready" does, and it'll just make you feel good.

21. "Little Hell" -- City and Colour

If you like Hozier and Ed Sheeran, then you'll most likely like this song. Even if you don't like Hozier or Ed Sheeran, you still might like this song.

22. "Litost" -- X Ambassadors

The X Ambassadors have been making their way into the music scene very steadily. Their most popular song at the moment is probably "Renegades," and they are also featured on "Sucker For Pain" from the "Suicide Squad" soundtrack. Before those songs though, came Litost, one of their lesser known songs, but probably one of their best.

23. "Noserings and Shoestrings" (Live) -- Nina Nesbitt

Maybe you've heard of Nina Nesbitt, maybe you haven't. If you're an Ed Sheeran fan, you probably know her as the girl the song "Nina" is about. Well, she doesn't just have songs written about her, but she herself also writes songs and sings them with incredible talent. This song will put you in a good mood and also bring you back to your angst-ridden teen days.

24. "Open Season" -- High Highs

You've probably heard this song in a movie, TV show, or commercial before, but didn't pay it much mind. You should though, because it's a great song to just relax to, and another great road trip song.

25. "Our Deal" -- Best Coast

Not only is this a great song, but an equally great music video. The video was directed by Drew Barrymore and follows a "West Side Story"-esque storyline, with many familiar famous faces. If you like the song, then you'll love the music video.

26. "Porsche, Hat, Cloud" -- Hale Sheffield

I wasn't sure if I should include this song because you won't find it on iTunes or Spotify, and for a while you couldn't even find it on SoundCloud. I stumbled upon a video on Tumblr about a year ago, and I almost scrolled past it, but something told me not to. I watched the video and was completely stunned by what I was hearing. The singer, Hale Sheffield, was given three words (thus the title of the song) and wrote a song on the spot based on those three words (which is why you'll hear her restart the song a few seconds in, because it was done in one take). Not only is her vocal talent incredible, but so is her writing ability, especially on the spot.

27. "Sober" -- Niykee Heaton

Niykee Heaton is up and coming in the music world, and your soon-to-be "Woman Crush Wednesday." If you don't know her for her music, then you might know her from Instagram, because along with being a talented singer she is also extremely good looking, making her "Instagram famous." Her latest song is "Bad Intentions," but I've always been a fan of "Sober."

28. "Such Great Heights" -- The Postal Service

This is an oldie, but a goodie -- another song that has fallen to the wayside. It is very fun and quirky, and it'll put you in an awesome mood. If you didn't listen to it when it first came out, I can guarantee you'll be listening to it now.

29. "Tear You Apart" -- She Wants Revenge

This is from several years ago, but it has always been good. If you watched the most recent season of "American Horror Story," then it'll probably sound familiar. There's just something about listening to this song that will make you feel like a badass.

30. "The Lost Boy" -- Greg Holden

If you were a fan of the show "Sons of Anarchy," you might recognize this song, and it'll make you very emotional if you can remember which episode and scene this song was played. Regardless of that, this is just an all around great song.

31. "Twin Size Mattress" -- The Front Bottoms

This song came out a few years ago and never really made its way to the "mainstream." It sounds like it came from the early 2000s, so it's a good non-throwback throwback song. It's extremely catchy and will get you pumped for the day ahead of you.

32. "Who I Am Hates Who I've Been" -- Relient K

Personally, this song will never get old. It was underrated when it came out and also fell to the wayside. I will forever be singing this at the top of my lungs whenever it comes on. If you've never heard it, it will quickly become a favorite.

33. "With Arms Outstretched" -- Rilo Kiley

This is just a feel good song that will make you want to hug all of your friends and never let go.

34. "You Don't Know How Lucky You Are" -- Keaton Henson

This is one of the greatest songs to ever exist, and Keaton Henson is one of the greatest people to ever exist. Chances are, you've never heard of Keaton Henson because he is very small in terms of the music industry, but he's there. This is probably my favorite song by Henson, but really everything he does is incredible. Henson's music is very cathartic, but in the end it will bring you to your happy place. After giving this song a listen, go ahead and listen to the rest of Henson's material. I promise you won't regret it.

35. "18" (Acoustic) -- Anarbor

Anarbor has a lot of great songs, but I always find myself coming back to this one. It's just really fun and will put you in a great mood, and just like the lyrics say, it will probably piss off your parents.

I hope you found something new that you like, or re-discovered something you used to listen to and are now updating your playlists. If you have any favorite songs that are underrated or have fallen to the wayside, leave them in the comments!