Help! I'm In An Unhealthy Relationship With Election Season And I Want Out!

It's not you, it's me...okay I lied, it really is you.

17
Youtube

Yesterday was a beautiful September day. The sky was this impeccable shade of blue, only lightly dotted with white puffy clouds. Where the sun shown, your skin warmed to that perfect tingle, it almost felt like you may get a tan, but there was a lovely breeze making sure you never got too overheated. After a lovely day exploring New York City, my boyfriend and I went back and had a really incredible dinner at this delicious Japanese restaurant down the road from our house with my parents. And to cap the evening off, we went round to talk with my family, my Aunt and Granny specifically, maybe for a quick laugh and to say thanks for buying our train tickets.

That's when it all happened.

"So, forgive me, but as young people, what do you think about this election?"

We groaned nearly simultaneously and sat down, as it was clear we were not leaving any time soon. So many thoughts were racing through my head - about Hillary, Trump, the debates, the issues, the scandals, my feelings, my student debt, and how I could possibly get my boyfriend out of such a politically charged conversation, because, let's face it, how well do those usually end?

And then it hit me — what did I think about this election? I think it's exhausting. I think it's been draining to follow. I'm disappointed and upset with each candidate for a multitude of reasons. What hit me when I got such an innocent question from my loving Aunt Donna?

I am in an unhealthy relationship with Election Season. And I want out.

It wasn't always like this with me and Election Season. In fact, in the beginning, me and Election Season were cute. He was always coming to class with me, talking with professors about the primaries and the idea of each candidate's potential to be the candidate. He sometimes followed into the dinning hall, disgusted in light-hearted conversations about issues surrounding student debt, the idea of having a real third party candidate raising up, but never anything too too serious.

But then the honeymooning phase ended and things started to go downhill fast. Trump made a lot of racist and xenophobic comments that made me think "Well I can't possibly vote for him." And then, Hillary was found to have seriously mishandled classified information with her private email server and I thought, "Well I can't possibly vote for her."

Then other people started to get involved, namely the media, and they just seemed to make everything worse. People wanted to see Trump's tax records, but avoid Hillary's fainting, because why should her health matter in an election? It only cost McCain his chance at the presidency. The New York Post decided Melania Trump's nude modeling photos, taken long before she even knew Donald, let alone married him, were relevant to this election and spread them all across the city — blasted on their cover — yet, no news outlet really discussed how Bill Clinton was seen meeting with secretly Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch, while his wife was still under investigation from the FBI.

Needless to say, things got messy fast.

The ads are toxic. The debates, I'm sure, will prove to be useless name calling sessions. And, to be honest, I'm really just done with the whole thing.

Me and Election Season, we had some fun, but now I'm ready to bid you adieu for another four years, because that's how long I'm going to need to recover from this particularly nasty one. I think the honest truth is, Election Season, while I love you, you're just too long. You've grown and morphed into something so hard to follow and stomach any longer, I think it's time we go our separate ways. Yes, I know it's only September, and yes, you're technically not over until November 8th, but I really cannot have this toxicity in my life any longer.

I'll try and keep my promises, give the debates a chance, but really, you've gone on it feels like for eternity, and I'm not sure I can take it anymore. Next time, maybe take a step back and chill for a bit? That way, we're all not so drained while you're still going on.