A Definitive Ranking Of The Harry Potter Movies

Last week I had the opportunity to sit down and re-watch the 9th Harry Potter film with my younger brother. He had only watched the entire series once, but told me several times throughout the movie that this one was his favorite. He said and I quote, "It's the most underrated movie by far; everyone overlooks the subplots." Which if you've seen The Order of The Phoenix, you know exactly what he's talking about. Hearing his perspective made me rethink my opinions on the rest of the movies and how they interconnect with the rest of the films. So after careful thinking and debilitating, I have created a personal ranking of the Harry Potter movies based on their own merit and how enjoyable they are to watch standing alone.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009)

Honest to god I don't remember anything interesting about this film except that Dumbledore dies, that's it. Like the Deathly Hallows Part 1, it's very imperative and crucial to the understanding of the greater plot, but the story within it is just not there. Harry gets a special textbook and starts to exceed at potions? Potions? Also watching Ron date someone who isn't Hermione is a bit unbearable. I guess the

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (2010)

I hate this one for the sole reason that it's incredibly boring. Harry, Ron, and Hermione struggle throughout pretty much the entire movie and it feels like a drag. However boring doesn't mean that this movie isn't important; we learn so much about the bigger picture plot and get so many questions answered. The seventh book absolutely needed to be slip into two movies, so while the first part may be hard to get through it is crucial the series resolution.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)

I guess that since it's the second it feels like the Tuesday of the films so everything happening isn't really all that important. I think the only element that makes it redeemable and ensures I don't just skip through it while having a movie marathon is the innocence and magic it embodies. The first movie only gave us a peek into all of the wonders and beauties of the wizarding world, but this movie is jam-packed of fantastical scenes and moments that really make the film.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)

Does it make you uncomfortable that the last movie is in the middle of the list? Me too. I struggle with this one. On one hand, it perfectly wraps up the movie and we get the most epic final battle in all of movie history... However, it is the very last movie which is very rewarding but also.. eh.. a little boring! Also, I cry every single time I watch this one so I try to avoid it.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)

Honestly these next four I had a really tough time deciding. The Order of the Phoenix used to consistently be my least favorite movie until just last week when I had watched it with my brother. The antagonist is just so easy to hate and it was the only part of the movie I paid any attention to. However I now realize that's the point; we're supposed to hate her but we"re also supposed to keep trying and searching for happiness even within the darkest of times..just like Harry and his friends did throughout the movie. Also, the whole secret Dumbledore army thing is probably the coolest twist within the series.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

This movie will forever remain in my top 3 solely because the characters get to time travel. Like not only are the characters wizards but now they get to time travel too? Not to mention that this movie takes a sharp turn from the first two and perfectly sets up a path to telling a darker and more mature story than the first two lead on. I think this is the first movie where we start to get a taste of the greater plot and it keeps us hooked.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone (2001)

Others would argue that the quality of this movie is lacking, but it is impossible to sit and watch this movie and not feel magical. This movie launches us into a completely different fantastical realm and we're sad when it's time to leave Hogwarts. It's a classic and every movie ties back to it. I don't think this movie could ever go out of style and I cannot wait for the day I get to watch it with my children.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)

I cannot reconcile with anyone who doesn't enjoy this movie. The individual plot of this movie is so unique and intense but at the end is revealed to have been a part of an even greater plot and it's all so shocking. This is also the first movie that we get to actually see Voldemort as a character on screen so the sense of urgency increases dramatically at the end. Up until this point, Voldemort wasn't really "back". It signals the transition into the greater plot of the series. The Goblet of Fire, in my opinion, is Harry's first real call to adventure.