A Q&A With Your Miami RedHawks Baseball Captains

RedHawks Baseball coming at you hot this spring in Oxford!

73
Elite Baseball Tournaments

It’s almost that time of year again: the time where dollar hot dogs suffice as a meal, the time where the entire area of north campus echoes music and baseball commentary, and most importantly, the time where fans can gather at Hayden Park to watch a good ole game of RedHawks baseball at McKie field.

This season’s captains include Seniors Tyler Harris, Ryan Marske, and Steve Sada. Harris, raised in Fayetville, Arkansas, is majoring in Sports Leadership and Management and plans to interview with a medical device company after graduation. Marske is a pitcher out of LaGrange, Illinois. Meanwhile, Sada, brought up outside of Pittsburgh, is staying at Miami to acquire his Masters of Accountancy and obtaining 150 hours to sit for the CPA exam.

Tyler Harris

Ryan Marske

Steve Sada

In a Q & A with the three team captains, I got a great feel for what these three leaders will bring to the team to help lead them through a victorious season.

When did you start playing baseball?

H: I starting playing baseball when I was four. My dad played college baseball, so I always loved playing with him anytime I could get the chance.

M: Age 2. My mom took a ton of wiffle balls off the chest. Thanks mom

S: As early as I can remember. I think I had a bat in my hands out of the womb.

What makes you three work together so well as captains to lead your team into a victorious season this year?

H: I believe having different captains at different positions is something we can really benefit from. Ryan Marske can lead the pitchers, and also help keep the dugout energized during the game when he is not throwing. Steve Sada is a player that leads by working hard, and also keeps all of our infielders locked in. I will be with the outfielders, and will usually keep the energy up.

M: I think we all use different leadership tactics but they work well together. Our team has a goal this year and we would all do anything to make it happen.

S: I think we all have different leadership styles so it allows us to address the team in different ways and look at things through different perspectives. We also have a common goal in mind of uniting our team as one and trying to make sure we are a tight knit group on and off the field to allow us to succeed this season.

What would you say is each other's biggest strength?

H: I believe that Ryan Marske's biggest strength is his competitiveness. He did an unbelievable job last year coming in late innings and getting us out of a jam or picking up a save. I always know you will get 100% out of him. I believe that Steve Sada's biggest strength is his work ethic and experience. There is not a harder worker on our team than Steve. He is always doing extra to become the best player he can be. He is also a 4-year starter for Miami, that brings maturity to our club. I believe my biggest strength is keeping the game simple and having some good ole fashion fun. I think I do a pretty good job of always being a guy who can keep the team confident no matter the situation. I also try to keep the guys loose by reminding them to enjoy the game and keeping their confidence up.

M: Tyler has a beautiful voice. That's definitely his biggest strength. Steve doesn't own an acoustic guitar, but I guarantee if he did he could shred. I also have a beautiful voice. Put Me, Tyler, and Steve together and I think we could have something.

S: Marske brings an intense dedication to everything he does. Harris has the type of personality that keeps everyone on our team loose and relaxed while still allowing us to stay focused on the task at hand.

What’s your favorite food?

H: Medium Rare Filet Mignon, with Fettuccine Alfredo as the side. My mom's chocolate gravy and biscuits are pretty dang good too.

M: Burritos. Easy.

S: Deer steak

If playing baseball wasn’t an option, what sport do you honestly see yourself playing either for fun or competitively?

H: I would probably play football. I played football growing up, and loved being out there with my buddies. I would love to get some flag football games in, but Coach Hayden would have a heart attack

M: Probably football. I played in high school and it has always been one of my favorite sports. Maybe badminton, maybe.

S: Hockey, I played one year when I was younger but since it was a longer season and interfered with baseball I chose baseball. I'm pretty interested in it now, however.

Are you dating?

H: I am currently engaged to my beautiful fiancé Katie Matheny. Our wedding will be this coming November, and I couldn't be more excited.

M: I am happily in a relationship.

S: No. (Note from author: Ladies he's single!!!)

What is your absolute favorite part about the Game Day experience?

H: My favorite part of the Game Day experience is batting practice with the guys. It gives you time to talk with your buddies on the team and enjoy the atmosphere. Batting practice is also a time I use for prayer. Nothing beats baseball and Jesus in my opinion.

M: The boys. Obviously winning is the best part but without the boys, it wouldn't be as great.

S: Other than actually playing the game and everything that comes along with that, I would say just being able to spend time with people I consider my brothers. Whether that be on the bus after a big win or pre-game meals, I've been blessed to be able to play alongside a lot of amazing people and create lifelong memories.

If these answers don't showcase the passion these men have for their team and teammates, then I don't know what does. I trust that under their wing, the RedHawks are looking at a successful season ahead. Miami's first home game is March 3rd against Illinois State. Come out for a hotdog and support your school's athletics!