So, What Am I Doing After Graduation? Good Question

Sometimes not having an exact plan is the best plan.

10
maranathsac.com

College. College is fun. College is exciting. College is stressful. College is challenging. College doesn't last forever. They say that four years of college flies by in the blink of an eye, so I knew that time would fly by even faster as a transfer. But, I didn't quite anticipate HOW fast. As I entered into my senior year of college a month ago, all too soon reality came crashing down: this college bubble will soon burst and I need to figure out what I'm doing with my life. Many students stress over this final chapter of the college years, unsure of how the next chapter in life will be written. Without a doubt, it is stressful, what with landing an internship, overcoming challenging capstone classes, fulfilling all graduation requirements, and looking for some sort of job even remotely related to the major we've been working towards for at least years. But, it is also an exciting time, which I think many college students overlook. We get to embark on a new journey after we're handed that degree--that piece of paper that makes all the breakdowns, sleepless nights aided by Starbucks Doubleshots, millennial life crises, and empty bank accounts worth it.

Now what?

I know that the job market for most college grads isn't the most promising or opportune, but don't let that overshadow this unique time in your life. For some of us, we'll no longer be students after this year and we'll have a blank slate (not to be confused with blank space... any T-Swift fans out there?). This can be quite daunting but also quite inspiring. It's a sort of independence where we have a say in the matter of writing this next chapter. Take the time to truly enjoy where you're at, instead of worrying about where you're headed. Go on an adventure! Travel abroad, embark on a roadtrip, climb a mountain, rescue abandoned tiger cubs... something! I'm not saying go wild and crazy, to spend the remainder of whatever is left in that weary bank account, to ignore all responsibility. But, we have the rest of our lives to work and all I'm saying is to make the most of this fresh start. Reward yourself, take a step back from the work grind and job hunting and just live.

I used to be afraid of the unknown, not knowing what to expect, being unsure of what was around the corner. Thankfully, I've figured out the general direction I want to go (for the most part!), but I have no idea what I'll have lined up once I walk across the stage in a cap and gown. And you know what? I'm totally okay with that! That isn't to say that I'm being lazy, expecting the perfect opportunity to fall out of the sky and plop down right in front of me. I'm definitely being proactive by thinking of what I can do now to benefit my future. I'm honestly just taking one day at a time, step by step. I know that God has a plan and I've found such rest in that truth and comfort. I can pretty much go wherever a job takes me and I love not having everything mapped out in a blueprint. I love the excitement and anticipation that comes from being at peace with having faith. Don't get lost in a mundane routine, don't constantly worry about what's next — instead, savor this upcoming stage of life, for we are rarely presented with such empty pages upon which to write the next chapters.