10 Tips For Job-Hunting College Students

10 Useful Tips For College Students Who Are Job-Hunting That Will Help Make The Process Easier

Please hire me - every college student ever

80

Job searching can be some serious hard work. There are times when it won't be fun and you'll feel discouraged but if you follow these 10 tips hopefully the job hunting process won't be too unbearable for you!

1. Have a killer resume

media.giphy.com

Having a resume that entails skills you have obtained in previous work/volunteer/internship experiences will help you. The more experience and skills, the better! Getting involved won't hurt you!

2. Prepare a cover letter just in case

media.giphy.com

The cover letter. Ah. What's the point when you have a resume? Well, cover letters help outline your skills and experiences that make you qualified for the job you are applying to. They serve as another way to be able to hype yourself up.

3. Apply to jobs near you that will convenient for you

media.giphy.com

When looking for jobs, venture where you'd be comfortable in working at and what would be of convenience for you. Don't get a job out out of your criteria just because you're desperate.

4. Look on LinkedIn, Handshake, or any other job searching website for jobs

media.giphy.com

I find adding connections on LinkedIn are so more fun than Tinder matches, Job searching websites are so great because friends and other colleagues can help with networking with people they know and it can help you land a great job!

5. Have some trust-worthy references

media.giphy.com

These people need to hype you more than your resume could. Choose people who you know will help you look good for an employer. Also, try to always build positive relationships with an employer, a professor, or a family friend who you can choose as your reference.

6. Try to check up on your applications if they have been reviewed

media.giphy.com

Keeping track of where you applied and its status is a must! It will be helpful as you know where to check up with and be in contact with!

7. Go in person to any place that is hiring to talk to the hiring manager and ask for an interview

media.giphy.com

If it has been a week or two since you have applied, definitely go into the place that is hiring to speak to their hiring manager to possibly obtain an interview or for them to have a face to the resume/application that you sent.

8. Ask friends if their jobs are hiring and see if they can put in a good word for you

media.giphy.com

If you need a job and know that your friends can put in a good word for you, do it! It doesn't hurt to ask your friends to have them do this favor for you.

9. Apply to even places you'd prefer not to work at

media.giphy.com

As much as you may want to avoid a certain industry, sometimes you have to have a backup if your ideal jobs do not work out. You would much rather be employed than not.

10. Stay positive!

media.giphy.com

Job searching is hard work. Some places will call you, some won't. Some will give you interviews but will not hire you. You will end up finding a job if you put the effort! Good luck, you got this!