It's Not Responsible To Go To Your Friend's House During Quarantine And Here's Why

By staying home, things can and will go back to normal a lot quicker.

30
https://unsplash.com/photos/NDw-WCFk1fo

People are having a very hard time dealing with the quarantine that's been imposed on a good chunk of our country and the rest of the world. Other countries like South Korea have proven that the fastest way to flatten the curve is to keep people at home and leave essential workers out. Some orders in some states in the US have been much lenient than others; some do not define what they characterize as essential while others are tight with police stopping people on the roads to see why they are out.

Humans are naturally social creatures. Many people, including myself, thrive off of being in social situations, and being at home for weeks at a time can truly be a tough situation, but it is something that must be done. Something becoming exceedingly at play is the question about whether or not going out to your friends' houses or hanging out with your significant others counts as being safe during the quarantine.

With proms and graduations being canceled across the country, I've seen countless posts of people getting together with their friends and dressed up in their prom attire with "#socialdistancing" without realizing that getting together in the first place is not social distancing. There are people that argue that they've been at home in self-quarantine so it's okay to go to their boyfriend's house even though their mother is a nurse treating patients and coming home every day.

There's just something about social distancing that people do not realize - it only takes contact with one person to spread the virus. Not everybody exhibits symptoms; a person may not even realize that they are infected might go to their best friend's house to celebrate a birthday and potentially spread it to their friend. That singular friend can then spread the virus to their family members, the things and people they touch at the grocery store, coworkers, or anything to do with the outside.

I love going out and being social. I miss going out to see my friends all the time. I have annual passes to both Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort that I wish I could be going to all these beautiful sunny days. It's been almost two months since I've been with my best friends but I realize that by doing the things I love to do, I would not only put myself at risk but other people too. By staying home, things can and will go back to normal a lot quicker.