Go Love Yourself

Go Love Yourself

Remember that you matter more than you realize.
168

In college, there are many things going on in your life. You're preparing for your future, you're making new friends as you involve yourself in campus life, you're making time to go home and spend time with your family, finding love in a relationship, and the list goes on and on.

However, there's one thing that many people fail to remember to think about when they are in college: themselves. They lose themselves in trying to do anything and everything to keep everyone else happy. This is where things often can go wrong, and will go wrong, if you let them. However, I ask only one thing of you: do not give up on yourself.

That is the one thing that as I have grown I cannot stress enough: don't forget about you. Do not forget that it is okay to go buy yourself that cup of coffee, to treat yourself to that comfort food when you're sad, to have someone take photos of you that are the most candid and genuine. You deserve the world, and then some, in meanings of happiness.

Go talk to someone when you think that is best for you. These conversations will allow you to learn a lot about yourself and a lot of the things that you have gone through. Call your parents a little bit more. They will literally do anything to make you happy, whether it be giving you an app to help you relax mentally at the start of your day or just telling you how much they love you. Your parents will be your biggest cheerleaders if you let them be. I'm dead serious.

There's this phrase which was made by a famous drag queen named RuPaul that I think about a lot. She often says,"If you can't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love someone else?" This phrase reminds you that you are still the most important at the end of the day.

I know that you have probably heard the phrases, "Love yourself," "You are so special and important," and so on. Although they are cheesy, they are true. In this day and age, we often get so wrapped up in what we are told we should be and how we should look that we forget we were made in a unique shape and image to be our best selves. We see that social media tells us women are supposed to look and act a certain way. However, a large portion of the population disagrees with those statements and wants to support people as they are, which I absolutely love.

If that means you want to work out more to make yourself your best self, then do it. If that means you sit back and relax with your best friends, do it. Do everything that you want and need for yourself.

Please don't ever forget about you. You are the most important thing at the end of the day.