Sorry, I'm Not Sorry For My Gluten Allergy

I did not choose this life, so stop judging me for it.
1219

"Since when haven't you been able to eat gluten?"

The answer to that question is a long story. A story that dives deep into my long medical history and honestly is not that interesting or fun for me to tell. The short story is I spent 20 years being able to eat whatever I wanted until I got really sick. The only thing that helped, after a series of elimination diets, was cutting out gluten completely from my diet.

I'm writing this as I lay sick in bed, regretting the pita chips I ate a week ago not realizing that the first ingredient in them is whole wheat flour. Having a food allergy is inconvenient for myself and the people around me, but I will never feel sorry for it.

All of the inconveniences are nothing compared to the way I feel right now because I accidentally ate gluten.

Sorry, not sorry, but I need accommodations for my allergy when I go out to eat. I can't just never go out! I have to miss out on birthday and graduation dinners because of my allergy? I don't think so.

Sorry, not sorry, but I can't just eat around gluten-containing food. And I really would appreciate if you changed your gloves before you prepare my meal. Don't worry, I'll tip extra for the inconvenience.

Sorry, not sorry, but I'm going to have to read the ingredients first. Gluten is in more than just bread and goes by multiple names. Unless it's certified gluten-free, I'm going to have to do some research.

Sorry, not sorry, but I'm tired of having a salad as the gluten-free option. I don't hate salad, but I really don't want to be eating salad every day. Salads can even be a risk since some dressings actually contain gluten.

Sorry, not sorry, but I'm not doing this for attention. You really think I would give up bread, cookies, donuts and Mike's Hard for attention? You must not know me at all.

Sorry, not sorry, but I'm also not doing this for sympathy. Please do not feel bad for me. Do I miss bread, cookies, donuts and Mike's Hard? You bet I do. But I've learned I actually don't need these things to live a fulfilling life. I would much rather give up these treats for the rest of my life than be sick all the time.

Living life with a food allergy is just my normal life now, and I refuse to feel the need to apologize or feel bad for it. Like anyone else living with an allergy or chronic condition, I will take the necessary precautions to keep myself alive and well, regardless of how "inconvenient" it is.

I just need everyone else to stop judging me for it.