What To Do When FOMO Is Crushing Your Productivity

Everyone's toughest battle.

422

FOMO, or fear of missing out, is a feeling that has come to drive me and many others to be less productive than we should be. Why do my homework when Jen is throwing a party and everyone is going? Do I really need to study for that big exam when all my friends are all going to the opening of that trendy new club? We tell ourselves to go enjoy life but enjoying life comes at a price. Here are three easy ways to have fun and still be productive.

Say No

Having fun all throughout life is something we all want to do. Unfortunately, it's not possible. Sometimes big things come up in your life and you can't ignore them. Saying no is a simple way to ensure you'll get what needs to be accomplished done. It's definitely not easy at first, but it gets easier as you get more comfortable with saying no. You will notice a great boost in your productivity when you start saying no to fun.

Budgeting

Budgeting is a great way to ensure you're not constantly experiencing FOMO. Many times hanging out with friends causes you to spend money you don't want to or need to spend. Budgeting allows you to have money to spend when a concert rolls into town or a new restaurant opens ups, but not throw money away at every event that pops up. Instead of spending time and money you don't have, you can be productive by budgeting.

Stay off Social Media

The last tip and the most important one is to reduce your social media usage. if FOMO was a drug, social media would be the dealer. Instagram and Snapchat have a great way of making you say, "wow I wish I was that instead of studying." A reduction in social media usage will allow you to enjoy the present moment and not envy others. Our culture celebrates doing the bare minimum then getting a good laugh out of it, but that doesn't have to be the case anymore. Your productivity will increase massively once you stop spending so much time reading mind-numbing Facebook statuses.

FOMO is not pleasant, but these three tips will help reduce the slight jealousy you feel when you're scrolling through Instagram. feeds. Having fun with friends is a great way to spend your free time, but it shouldn't be the only thing you're focused on.