Society Has Forgotten How To Love And Be Loved

People Have Forgotten How To Love And Be Loved, And It's A Heartbreaking Way For Us To Live

Where did our humanity go?

99

I think I can speak for all young adults when I say we struggle hard with figuring everything out. We overthink day in and day out about what we are called to be and what we are called to do. At least I do.

I think we have all forgotten a truly vital part of life, and that's to love and to be loved.

In a world where things are disposable, where we look for the next best thing over and over, where we constantly are looking at things we desire, we have forgotten to love others. We are so obsessed with what we want to achieve. We are so in the dog eat dog mindset that we forget we are really called to love one another. We live in a more and more individualized world where people are only looking out for number one, but I honestly think this is toxic to who we are as humans.

There's a Bible verse that has always resonated with me because my mom had it all over the house while I was growing up. I know a lot of people are probably going to roll their eyes at this one, but it's 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

No matter if you're a religious person or not, I think we are called to love each other.

Even if we didn't grow up in the same neighborhood, drive the same car, have the same hairstyle, if someone is LBGTQ, if someone doesn't have the same political views as you do, and if someone doesn't believe in what you believe in. We are called to show love to people, and I think we are forgetting that now.

When we struggle we want to be loved and to be shown love... So why don't we show love? If we desperately yearn for it in times of need, shouldn't we be showing it when we don't "need" it?

We need to show others they matter, that no matter how heartbreaking their situation is they are still immeasurably loved.

We need to lend a hand to people who are struggling whether we can see it or not. We need to start meeting people where they are because THAT is what we are called to do, ladies and gentlemen.

I think maybe we need to spend a little less time thinking about number one and a little more time thinking about people around us who need our help or, in other words, our love. In order to help heal our world of the heartbreak we continuously see, we must be willing to love others. There are so many people who are heartbroken in the world, and we have to meet them where they are and love them.

Otherwise, where did our humanity go?

Follow Swoon on Instagram.