Loving Others Well

Loving Others Well

What if we loved others like we loved ourselves?

942
Loving Others Well
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/08/05/636374900081432315152378417_sunset-hands-love-woman.jpg

What does it mean to love other people well? Why is it so important? Why do we not only have to love people but love them well?

For some, loving people isn’t so hard. Most people find it easy to be kind to others. However, it’s not always constant or it’s for the wrong reasons. Do we love people even when we are having the worst day? Do we love people when they need love the most?

In 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, Paul explains exactly what love is, and how it should be. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” This is the kind of love we should strive for. This is the love that Jesus showed us on the cross. This love conquers all. Even in our weakest points, our love for others should never fail.

In Romans 12:9-10, We are reminded that love can be a challenge with so many distractions in the world. Even though we try so hard to set our mind and fix our eyes on Jesus, we tend to lose the path God has called us to at times. It’s also easy to get caught in a trap of selfishness when all we want to do is better ourselves and make ourselves look fine from the outside. "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.”

This love takes sacrifice. Putting others before us isn’t always the first thing we think of. Sometimes, we don’t think that at all. Before we know it, we find ourselves not being kind, generous, or thoughtful, like God wants us to be. Instead, we are the complete opposite, only wanting to gain what is best for US to help US. Our mindset needs to be changed from “it’s all about me” to “nothing is about me anymore.” That’s what happens when we decide to follow Jesus and love like he first loved us.

Luke 6:35 states, "But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.” This is such a convicting verse because, to me, this is probably one of the hardest things to do. But this is how we love others well. We should't just love the people that are like us, or the people that have the same beliefs and opinions as us. We need to love others well. “Others” is everyone. Kindness is contagious and is guaranteed to make someones day.

Lastly, love is an action. We can start small. Love others in your community, in your church, in your school. Good deeds go a long way and generosity could create waves of more generosity. Start small, and one day, when you feel Gods calling, go big. Make loving others a part of your regular day. There is never any regret to doing the right thing. God calls us to love others. Let’s start loving better today.