Football Season Is Here

Football Season Is Here

Does that mean injury season is, too?

27
Football Season Is Here

The NFL season has officially kicked off with the defending champion New England Patriots defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers 28-21.

However, with football season comes something else--injuries.

College and high school football seasons have kicked off and already the football world has mourned both a death and multiple paralyses. Football players are the most susceptible to concussions of any athletes, but head and neck injuries are only the beginning. Each year, many careers are either cut short or ended due to devastating and impactful hits. However, the game that has Americans everywhere glued to the television on Sunday afternoons remains as popular as ever. It is hard to argue why, seeing as football is a very fun and exciting sport. Despite this, caution must always be taken as any hit or tackle can prove to be very devastating.

Some players know better than others just how devastating the sport can be. Take Eric LeGrand, a former Rutgers football player. LeGrand was in on a play during his college career when he suffered a devastating neck injury that has him in a wheelchair to this day. Take Johnny Knox, a former member of the Chicago Bears. Knox was injured on a play, a play that resulted in him undergoing spinal fusion surgery, a dangerous procedure that if done successfully, leaves patients in a wheelchair for nine months.

These are two examples out of hundreds or perhaps even thousands that depict the dangers that football can have on the head, neck, and spine area. This area is definitely prone to injury, but another part of the body that takes nearly as much contact are the knees.

The NFL season is one game underway, yet twenty-five players have already torn their ACLs. Almost always, a season-ending diagnosis accompanies this injury, and it is one that will always persist in the game of football.

Despite the injuries that occur on the football field, the game itself is very exciting and entertaining. While it can be dangerous, it is very fun if proper precautions are taken.

Some preventative measures to prevent injuries and make the game more enjoyable for all include:

1. Using and wearing proper equitment

Proper gear can be the difference between life in a wheelchair or one play off the field.

2. Playing flag football instead of tackle

Why tackle someone when you can just pull a flag off of their waist? Many would argue that this is equally or more fun than tackle football.

3. Listening to your coach

It is up to coaches to teach players the proper way to tackle. If players listen properly, a number of injuries can be prevented.

4. Staying hydrated

By being hydrated, players are less likely to lose focus and also have enough energy to prevent vulnerability on the football field.

5. Respecting your opponent

If you respect your opponent, you are much less likely to want to make a dirty play. By doing so, you prevent injuries by not putting yourself or another player in danger.