Your First Quarter In College Is Not An Accurate Representation Of Your Future College Experience

I’m talking to you first quarter UC students.

200
The Atlantic

While I attend UC Santa Barbara and this mainly applies to those on the quarter system, this also applies to first-year semester students as well.

I am here to tell you that your first quarter in college is not an accurate representation of what college will be like the next four years. So, if you are feeling unhappy, stressed, thinking you can’t do it, and are definitely going to transfer or take the rest of the year off and go back home, I urge you to wait. Your first quarter is crazy.

Let me repeat that, your first quarter is crazy.

It is a huge jumble of meeting new people, being away from home for the first time, being thrown into large classes, having long papers and midterms immediately, and finals before you know it. Throw in some serious homesickness, getting an everlasting cold, maybe having a bad roommate, and getting a bad grade on your first paper. This will not last, I promise you that.

Even if you have a pretty good first quarter, I promise that it will improve even more. Those first 10 weeks fly by, and there is no time to catch your breath, and it moves a lot faster than high school ever did. It is an adjustment, not a mistake. After your first quarter, things will slow down, you will be more familiar with your new life, and you will have learned the skills and tools you need to conquer the rest of your time in college. It doesn’t stay crazy forever.

It doesn’t help that social media makes it seem like everyone you know is having the greatest first few weeks in college either. I am also here to tell you that social media can be deceptive, and yes you may have friends posting pictures of their new best friends and the awesome frat party they went to, but what you don’t see is the phone calls home to mom and dad, the feelings of self doubt, the C on the first midterm, the hangovers, the lingering question of “Did I make the right decision”.

College is so much fun, so rewarding, and such an amazing experience. Don’t give it up just because your first quarter may not have been what you were expecting. Everyone that I know that has had both good and bad first quarter experiences, says their time in college has not been anywhere close to those first 10 weeks. Their time and experience has gotten so much better, as they grew more confident in their skills, ability to navigate around campus, finding clubs and groups to join that fit them well, finding true, real friends, and learning how to do this whole crazy-fast quarter system thing.

It gets easier. Don’t make a rash decision based on just 10 weeks, because soon enough you will be wondering why you even thought about leaving. Just give it some time, and I promise you will find your groove.

DISCLAIMER: If you are having bad roommate issues, there is always an option to find another place to live or have a new roommate. Talk to your Resident Advisor or housing department to learn more about your options. If you are feeling depressed, anxious, worried, or suicidal, don’t bury those feelings. There are so many resources on campus to help you, and so many people available to help you through this transitional time and figure out if the school you are at is the right one for you.