​Soul Connections: The Female Perspective

“Friendships between women, as any woman would tell you, are built of a thousand small kindnesses… swapped back and forth and over again.”— Michelle Obama

1398
6 Lessons We Learned From "Sex And The City"

This is a response to A love letter to female friendships.

Think about one of your best friends. I bet it might be easy to recall the very first time you met them. Something as simple as, “I’ll give you a piece of gum if you’ll be my friend”, might have been said among many childhood interactions, which later became the beginning of a long lasting friendship.

When we bond with certain individuals, and we feel like we can trust them, there is this tendency to pour our hearts and souls into conversations that can later turn into a relationship with that person. With female/female relationships, there is a sense of communication and bond like no other, which is fabricated at a more emotional level.

In going with the female perspective, particularly within female/female connection, there is an association, which can build, align, and solidify a friendship.

A show I enjoy watching— “Sex and the City”, depicts the female perspective very well, in that the four main female characters, who despite their certain differing natures, bond through their individual experiences and are, therefore, inseparable.

Charlotte York, one of the main female characters in the show, spoke words of wisdom that really stuck with me. “Maybe we can be each other's soulmates. And then we can let men be just these great, nice guys to have fun with.”

Growing up there was this expectation that once we found our romantic partner, they would be considered our soulmate— that perfect person who completed our other half. But that romantic partner doesn’t necessarily have to be a soulmate. Charlotte was definitely onto something when she realized that best friends can be soulmates too.

There's a sense of security and comfort in the bond between female friendships that is like no other. There are times where we can share laughs, motivate each other, and provide support in struggling times, but there is something much more to it that many people don’t understand. As women, we can correlate on a level that no one else can recognize.

It is the ongoing acts of kindness that built friendships between women, which is the gift that keeps on giving, and is why I place so much value upon my friendships. Knowing that a piece of my genuine self was enough to have so many amazing friendships with my friends makes me believe they are my soulmates—- my other halves that complete me.