A Birthday Letter To My Best Friend

A Birthday Letter To My Best Friend

It all started with a Spongebob joke.

24687
A Birthday Letter To My Best Friend
via Lauren Romagnano

A letter to my best friend,

I want to start by wishing you a happy birthday. You're like the big sister I always wanted, but more importantly, you're my best friend. Though we technically met in Kindergarten, we officially met at freshman orientation in high school. I can literally remember it like it were yesterday: I was terrified and clutching my red folder like it was my lifesaver in a room where I was drowning. And then, through an incredible teacher, I was introduced to you. I knew from looking at you that you were the cool kid in the room, the one who knew what was happening and didn't care about any of it. I envied your blasé attitude and I feared that my over-excitable nature would ruin a friendship before it began. And yet, you smiled and told me your name.

We found out that we had the same classes and sat together at lunch. We had the same, stupid sense of humor and bonded over Spongebob jokes. We sat at the same lunch table for four years. I remember how we told each other everything, good and bad, and received hugs all the same. I remember how senior year, you told me you were applying to one of the same schools as me. I remember when we both received acceptance letters to Notre Dame of Maryland University and swore we'd stay best friends through college. And we did. We even lived as roommates for two (and a quarter) years.

I've known you for 7, almost 8 years now and with each passing year I am more and more grateful to call you my best friend. Though life has changed our paths and you go to a different school, we still talk weekly, sometimes daily. We see each other frequently and always have some new story (and a Spongebob reference or two). My mom calls you her third daughter and your mom reminds me I'm always invited over. We're practically family at this point.

In this time, I've grown plenty, but I've watched you grow as well. I've watched you experience family struggles, heartbreak and personal struggle, but I've also watched you experience success, happiness and love. I've gotten to see you at your highest and lowest and I love you so much at times I wonder how I could have gotten so lucky to call you my friend. I'm so proud that you share all of this with me and call me your friend, that you have invited me into your home and introduced me to your incredible boyfriend.

I don't know what made God or the Fates or whichever All-Powerful Being decide that we both should be so lucky to not only know each other, but to share so much of each others' lives by being best friends, but I know I will thank them until the end of my days. I wish you the happiest of birthdays and just know that I will be here to celebrate each year with you forever and ever. As your best friend.

Love,

The shy girl with the red folder