Everyone's Getting Engaged and I'm Just Getting Coffee
relationships

Everyone's Getting Engaged And I'm Just Getting Coffee

Make that one iced caramel latte to-go, please.

201
Warner Bros. TV

It's the holiday season and you know what that means... peppermint mocha is back at Starbucks.

OK, maybe not exactly what you were thinking but hey, it is true.

More importantly, many people know the holiday season to be the time when many friends and family members are getting engaged. Whether you have seen many engagement posts already or not, they're coming. I always thought that no one my age would be getting engaged anytime soon. However, I have seen so many engagements over the past month I stand corrected.

I hold this view because personally, I am the type of person that does not plan on getting married anytime soon. Besides the fact that there is no one I could be engaged to, I am just not ready for that part of my life. I want to explore so many places and opportunities before I am ready to be responsible for another person. Also, the fact that I can barely take care of myself may hold some weight in the issue.

I was never the feelings or relationship type of girl. I know there are some girls that seem to constantly be in relationships or have boyfriends. That is not me. In fact, if you know me well, you know I don't like being close to people very much. I'm not saying like emotionally close to people, but I don't enjoy being physically close to people. I'm not a touchy person. For instance, I'll never understand why someone will sit right next to me on a couch if we are the only two people in the room. It just doesn't make sense.

OK back to the point.

I may not be getting engaged this year. Or next year. Or five years from now. But that's OK. Just because everyone seems to be getting engaged, does not mean you have to. Sometimes, it works out and you find the person you are meant to be with when you are 16. Sometimes you don't find them until you are 40. That's OK.

Seeing the numerous posts of friends or classmates engaged may make you feel like you are behind. You are not. If you find yourself feeling down because you haven't found your person yet, stop. Your time will be coming. Something as serious and special as this is not worth rushing.

Now, to everyone who did get engaged this season, congratulations! Although a part of your single Facebook friends may feel jealous, we actually love seeing your proposal and engagement posts. Keep them coming! It's lovely to see the pure happiness, even if it's just through a screen.

For everyone else who may still be feeling down, remember, there are so many people right there with you. Just relax and wait for your time. It's coming.