EPL Round Up: North London Derby, Leicester City Stay On Course

A look at the impending key fixtures for the three sides involved on Saturday.

13
Goal.com

A dark, stormy White Hart Lane set the scene for what was touted as the biggest North London derby in the history of the two clubs. Tottenham Hotspur, more commonly referred to as simply, Spurs, were in North London first (1882 to be exact). Arsenal moved to North London in 1913 but have dominated their rivals ever since. It’s safe to say, Spurs fans still resent the Gunners for moving into their territory over a century ago, while the Arsenal crowd have taken every opportunity to be smug about it.

With all the attention on Leicester City’s meteoric rise to the top of the league (and Arsenal’s collapse), Tottenham managed to swiftly slingshot past their North London rivals into 2nd with a three-point cushion. Meaning, if Tottenham manage to grab all three points, they will effectively throw the Gunners out of the title race and open up a six-point lead with nine games remaining. Arsenal, on the other hand, were hanging on for dear life after their third consecutive defeat.

What unfolded was a brilliant display of a fast-paced, tense, physical and wet game of English Football. With tackles aplenty in midfield, keeping all 22 men on the field always seemed like too much to ask for. Coquelin’s unnecessary bookings meant he left the game in the 56th minute with Arsenal 1-0 up. Spurs scored twice in just under two minutes before Alexis Sanchez salvaged a draw with the final score at 2-2.

Elsewhere, Leicester City claimed another three points at Watford, sending them five points clear of Tottenham and eight points ahead of Arsenal. With only nine games left, what can we expect from the topsy-turviest season in recent memory?

Leicester City

Crucial home ties include visits from West Ham on April 17 and Everton on May 7. They have to travel to Manchester United on May 1 and finish the season at Chelsea on May 15. Given their current form, Leicester should win the other five games. Even if they lose one and the remaining sides win, they will have to maintain a two-point lead. It’s safe to say the title is Leicester’s to lose. The side closest to them in their run of fixtures is West Ham, 11 points behind. Although, the old guard of Manchester United and Chelsea might have a point to prove as they try to salvage their reputations as elite clubs.

Tottenham

“A missed opportunity,” as Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino put it. The 2-2 draw means Tottenham will be praying for Leicester to slip up as we approach the final stretch. It is worth noting Tottenham’s involvement in the Europa League, considering they travel to a resurgent Borussia Dortmund and play Aston Villa three days later. They should count themselves fortunate to be playing a Villa side rooted in 20th and must claim all three points. Other notable fixtures include away games at Liverpool (7th), Stoke (8th) and Chelsea (10th). They also welcome Manchester United (6th) on April 10. Not to mention possible progression into the latter stages of the Europa League which will take a significant toll on the squad

Arsenal

Arsene Wenger’s side managed to save face over the weekend but the reality of the situation suggests Arsenal have a half-chance of reclaiming top spot. The season rests on whether or not the Gunners can rally and find their sense of cohesion. Particularly at home, where they have been susceptible to needless losses this season. Key games include trips to Everton (12th), West Ham (5th) and Manchester City (4th).

Finally

Objectively speaking, Leicester City are on course for one of the greatest Cinderella stories in the history of sport, and it’s in their hands. Around Christmas, the squad was tipped to fall away eventually as fatigue and injury would surely strike. However, they manage to remain sharp every week partly because this is the only competition they are playing for. Much like Liverpool’s surprise title pursuit in 2014. Whereas Liverpool were being chased by Manchester City and Chelsea, Leicester have an out of sorts Arsenal and an unpredictable Tottenham to contend with. Not to mention a greater margin of error.

This season will be decided by the nerves of the Leicester City roster. Any lapses of concentration will be magnified in the crowd’s eyes as they approach the final game of the season while the other sides wait to pounce. Will Leicester City be crowned champions by then? Or will they bottle it and send Spurs to their first title since 1961? Hypothetically, Manchester City could win their game in hand and squirm their way to the title if results go their way. In fact, only one prediction remains certain; this will surely be remembered as the craziest season ever in the Premier League era.