Eight Reasons Why Bridgewater State University Is A Wonderful School

Every day is a great day to be a Bear!

452
BSC Involved

As I enter my second year at Bridgewater State University, I can only think about how excited I am to be back. I have been passionate about being a Bear ever since I first toured the university as a senior in high school. After a successful and unforgettable first year, my love for the school has grown stronger, and it is my hope that it will continue to expand as I encounter more opportunities that it has to offer. Here are some reasons why no one lies when they say BSU is a wonderful school.

1. The size and appearance of the campus

Bridgewater State is 10th largest four-year college/university in Massachusetts with 39 buildings and 278 acres. All of this makes for a beautiful campus. The huge building of Boyden Hall makes for a nice view no matter what the weather looks like, and the Quad makes for an excellent place to sit outside to relax or study. There also more notable nice looking buildings, such as the Dana Mohler Faria Science and Mathematics Center, Weygand residence hall, the Welcome Center, and the Tinsley Center. And, of course, within such a wonderful campus is a land filled with endless opportunities.

2. The many programs of study

The academic structure of BSU leaves a wide abundance of courses of study. There are dozens of majors and minors that are organized within six colleges: Bartlett College of Science and Mathematics, College of Education and Allied Studies, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, Ricciardi College of Business, College of Continuing Studies, and College of Graduate Studies.

One of the more notable programs of study at BSU is their Aviation Science program. If I'm not mistaken, Aviation Science in Massachusetts is only offered at this school, which is another reason why it is so unique. Although I am not majoring in Aviation, I have to say that those students seem to put in countless and diligent work, and I can only offer nothing but praise to those influential individuals.

So, what will your path be?

3. The smaller classroom sizes

The average number of students in a classroom at Bridgewater is 22 students. For me personally, that is a perfect size. Unlike some other colleges and universities, the classes are small enough so that my professor knows my name and I can get to know not only him or her, but also more of my classmates. It is much less overwhelming.

4. The community

In my short two semesters at the Bridge, I have found that I am surrounded by an amazing community of both students and faculty. I love the fact that the faculty cares strongly about your academics and leaves you options to find your success. I am astounded by the amount of influential student leaders I have had the opportunity to get to know. I also like the diversity between commuters and residents; no matter where you live, BSU is a great place to conduct your studies. If it weren't for the people that make that this campus what it is, it would not make me feel welcomed as much truly does to me.

5. The area and the places surrounding it

Like I said before, Bridgewater State University is a drop dead gorgeous campus. But the area that surrounds it should not be forgotten. There is an MBTA commuter rail stop that makes for another way to come and go from the school. Near the campus are some restaurants and stores, many of which accept flex dollars (money that can used from your student card), and there are even a few discounts as well. When you need to step off of campus for a little while - whether you are traveling, shopping, or eating - it will be very convenient to do so.

6. The many ways to become involved

A lot of students would agree that if you want to make the most out of your time in college, then you should get involved. Bridgewater has so many opportunities; there has to be something that fits your interests and schedule. There are organizations such as WBIM radio, American Marketing Association and Program Council that broaden your experiences. Plus, becoming involved at Bridgewater will oftentimes open the door for leadership opportunities that will help you develop leading skills and something to look good on a resume. Don't miss out on this semester's involvement fair on September 14th!

7. The amount of food options

As long as you have a meal plan, you will never have to go hungry. BSU has so many options to keep you filled (and very delicious options, I might add). There are four dining halls, including Flynn Dining Commons (known as "Tilly" to the students), Bears Den, East Campus Commons (ECC for short) dining hall, and Crimson dining hall. "Tilly" and ECC accept accept meal swipes while the Bears Den and Crimson take dining dollars. Also, when you want a cup of coffee, BSU has two Dunkin' Donuts on campus (one is located at ECC with a full menu while the other is in Bears Den with a more limited selection) as well as a Starbucks.

After writing that paragraph, I am now craving a pasta from Bears Den. Ugh!

8. The Transit system

On such a big campus, you might not always want to walk to the other side of campus for class. Or, if you are out at night, you might want to call for a ride for safety. No problem - BSU Transit is your friend and would happy to get you where you need to go on campus!

Welcome home, Bears.