You do not need a boyfriend

To The Girl Who Thinks She 'Needs' A Boyfriend, Let Me Stop You Right There

I know how you feel.

332
https://thespreadissue.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/new-girl-jess-third-wheel-only-single-one.jpg

I feel like every other post on any of my social media feeds is a cute couple. Our generation makes me feel like I need a boyfriend or I need to be "talking" to a guy at all times. I asked a few girls ranging from middle school to college and they felt the same. It's an unnecessary pressure that I have really struggled with. I put that pressure aside and realized that I need to love myself fully before I can even begin to worry about bringing a boy into the mix.

Let me help you out if you too feel the pressure of society to be hitched.

Above all things, YOU were made in God's image. He loves you, He made you exactly how He wants you, and He sees no flaws. Blah, blah, blah I know. Everyone tells you that, but take it from someone who has struggled with this concept for so long. That is not to say that I don't have days where I bring myself down because I am not pretty enough or good enough — because I do, but I am able to bring myself back to this truth. You must first understand His love for you before you love yourself, much less someone else. His love is the perfect example and we must love others as He loves us.

Once you feel assured that God loves you and you have an understanding of what love should look like, you can move to the next step. You have to love yourself. This is the real kicker. I have messed up more times than I would like to admit when it comes to dependency. I have felt like someone else can fix me. This boy can fill the hole in my heart and make me feel beautiful. Wrong. I have to love my faults and go into a relationship confident about who I am — emotionally and physically. It is not fair for you or the other person to go into the relationship expecting to be fixed.

Along with that, you must love your faults before you can love someone else's. Everyone has issues that will be brought into any relationship with anyone they encounter. You have to embrace your flaws and realize that they do not define you. Then when you start to recognize your partner's flaws, you will be able to love them still — flaws and all.

By recognizing your flaws you learn a lot about yourself. You can gauge what kind of person you think will compliment you best. I definitely cannot be with someone needy because I am way too independent. I do want to be with someone who makes me feel safe and loved because I can get insecure. Do you see how the equation works? Instead of jumping at the first guy that gives you attention, you need to be picky and only give your time to someone who deserves it.

Lastly, I want to make it clear that you do NOT need a boyfriend.

Have fun in whatever stage of life you are in. Focus on your girl friends and your schooling. If you are in a situation now with a guy you aren't really happy with, end it. I've ended "things" (whatever they are called these days) and was so much happier after. Never settle. EVER. God will place the perfect man in your life when the time is right. I hold tight to that truth when I slip and start to feel worried about my future. There is no need to rush.

God loves you, so you should love you. His love is MORE THAN ENOUGH.