Long Distance Relationships
relationships

6 Tips For Those In Long Distance Relationships

You know what they say: Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

111
https://www.boredpanda.com/long-distance-relationship-korean-couple-photo-collage-half-shiniart/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Long distance relationships are very real and difficult scenarios that people in college have to deal with. Whether it is your high school sweetheart or significant other whom has recently moved away, the reality of the situation can be very difficult and frustrating. But there is good news: you both want to make it work!

Although long distance can be very challenging, I have found some easy strategies to make your distance relationship a little less stressful. Here are some tips and tricks for the long distance lovebirds:

1. Put in the work

For some couples, this may be the most straining thing that has ever happened in your relationship, and this is okay. All of the normal things you used to do will require much more effort for a long distance relationship. Be open and honest with each other but most importantly, be trusting.

2. Have a communication plan in mind

You do not have to talk to each other every second of every day but plan a time every day to call or facetime one another. This makes distance easier and you will have something to look forward to every day. Ideas such as calling each other on the way to work or talking to one another before going to bed are great ways to keep in touch daily without being over the top. ALWAYS make sure to communicate your feelings so you both stay on the same page and let each other know how much you appreciate and care about the other. 😊

3. But do NOT over-communicate

I get it, you both miss each other and want to make sure you stay updated in each other's lives, but talking to each other too much can be a bad thing. Over-communication will often lead to more miscommunication and less meaningful conversations. Stressing out about trying to talk to each other every minute of the day will only put a strain on your relationship. Less is more. Accept that things are not going to be the same but that is okay, change is not always a bad thing! Remember: Constant communication is not required for a relationship to last.

4. Make sure to visit one another

What's a long distance relationship without some road trips! If you have moved to a different area, plan a fun weekend together. Show your partner around to your favorite stores or coffee shops. Make new memories together, do not just dwell on old ones. Also, do not put too much pressure into your visit. It's okay if your visit isn't perfect. Sometimes one of you might be working or doing school assignments during the time you are together. That's okay. Any time spent together is valuable.

5. Do not listen to what others say

People love to speculate on relationships and give unwanted opinions. People are going to tell you that long distance is "never going to work" and "you'll get sick of this" blah blah blah blah. Look: YOU know your relationship with your partner better than anyone else does. Do not let other people try to tell you what is right and wrong about your relationship. This ultimately causes you to second guess and doubt your partner. Every relationship is different and every couple communicates differently. Do not let what other people think is "normal" affect how you live your life. (And that goes for every relationship!)

6. LIVE YOUR LIFE!!!!

Just because your partner is not physically with you does not mean your life comes to a halt. Take this time to rediscover yourself and put more of your time into your other daily tasks such as school, work, but most importantly: your friends! Take a trip, join a fitness class, go out with your friends every weekend. Live your life to the absolute fullest. You must learn how to live independently of one another so you can live fully for each other.