Dating Today, But With "Old School" Habits

These are the things that need to come back into today's dating world.

23
The Destiny You Choose

If there is anything I know about dating (from the little I have done) I know that what I have in mind is not what is expected of anymore. Sure, some might call me high maintenance or that these thoughts put a lot of pressure on a guy, but these things used to happen so is it really that complicated?

1. Flowers on the first date!

Do any guys even still do this anymore? Since when did we start to let it become acceptable to not have this happen? I know there are some girls out there who do not care for flowers, or could care less about if this happens, but if it actually happened would you at least feel a little more appreciated about going on this first date? I'm not saying if a guy does not bring flowers it makes or breaks the date, but if he did he must be worth my time if he is willing to go out and buy flowers for me just for a first date. (Even if they are just $5 Walmart flowers.)

2. The guy knocking on the front door to pick you up-

Okay, if he does not come to the door step to pick you up, is he really worth your time? He also cannot just come to the door and then text you saying here. There needs to be a knock, doorbell ring or something. If he does not do any of the other things, he should at least be a gentleman enough to do this one. (If he honks or texts you to come out, do not even bother going with him.)

3. Getting the car door, restaurant door, movie theater door or any door really-

Even when I am not on a date and just simply walking into a building on campus I pay attention to if the guy gets the door. It is the little things like this that make a huge difference. If a guy does not open the door for you then he apparently does not care if it slams in your face, on you, or just shuts you out. I am not saying the guy needs to get a car door every time, but for the first date he needs to show his best and the best is opening that car door.

4. Asking a girl out in person/over the phone

Generation Y is all about that technology lifestyle, so it is no surprise if you got asked over text message. Okay, asking to just hangout as friends is totally fine, but if you are about to ask me out on a date it better be in person or at least pick up the phone to ask me. Texting about going on a date seems to me as if the guy apparently does not care enough to put the effort into this so if he cannot even ask you out properly, can he even take you on a date correctly?

5. Take me dancing, not clubbing

I will be the first to tell you I am an awful dancer, but I still love it! There is something about just letting loose and moving to the beat of the music that makes it such a good time. However, taking me to a club to dance is not what I have in mind. I go clubbing with my girls when just to have a good time out and dance with complete strangers that we will probably never see again. At date parties my sorority has, I still dance face to face with my dates, with the occasional “grinding” (but not much). Old school dancing brings out the goofiness inside of people and even laughter and smiles. Grinding just brings out the raging hormones in us college kids.

6. Facebook what?

Yep, Facebook official is an actual thing, but I am sure you already knew that. What gives Facebook the right to determine if we a “thing” or not? I understand when we become into a relationship we want everyone to know; even our old Facebook friends we have not talked to since seventh grade. Dating someone is a thing that does not have to be so public, but can be shown by just being together. Better yet, if someone asks, you can say you are taken or with another.

7. Complimenting each other-

Just about everybody feels a little better about themselves when they are given a compliment. How hard is it though just to say if someone is beautiful or handsome rather than hot or sexy? I mean maybe being called that would be a compliment to you, but that’s a negative for me. The words used to describe women really have changed over the years and there is a huge difference between a beautiful girl and a sexy one. (But we can get into that at a later time.)

Overall, it is not like we are asking for much. It is more of just respect and a gentleman that we are wanting. These “old school” dating habits should not be so old school, but things that happen all the time when dating. They used to be common gestures that we shouldn't let slip away.