Dating A High Schooler While You're In College
relationships

The Realities Of Dating A High Schooler While You're In College

A freshman in college dating a senior...in high school?

203
Alexis Stachurski

I have been with my boyfriend since the summer before my senior year of high school. We knew coming into it that we would have to spend my freshman year of high school apart. Now with only 7 weeks left of my first year in college, here is my take on what it's like to date someone still going to your alma mater.

1. FaceTime is your new best friend

FaceTime is my most used app now. If I am free at night or just want to see his face, I can always depend on a call. This might sound cheesy, but FaceTime sleepovers are an *almost* daily occurrence. Even if we both have things to do, we just call each other and do our own thing. This makes me feel closer, considering the 125+ miles between us.

2. A whole other reason to come home

Seeing family and friends while being home is great. But what's better than a bigger bed and your boo cuddling next to you? Plus, I have rides to and from without having to bug my parents.

3. Different breaks

For both winter and spring break, there have been times when he is still in school while I am off. So, I am basically a "housewife" for those days. It does stink that I have to wait until after 3 to hang out with him, but at the same time, I can get some work done while he's at school. It'll probably always be like this, considering he is going to a community college at home for the next two years. But, maybe it'll coincide (fingers crossed!)

4. One foot in college, one foot in high school

Dating a high schooler and being friends with people in his grade and below, I do feel like I am sorta in high school still. I still sit in the student section at games, and workout with my friends at the high school. I'm still "popular" in some sense because of him but also because I am from a super small school. I just can't wait until baseball season!

5. DANCES!

Homecoming! Winter Carnival! Prom! Having a boyfriend in high school is great because my last dances weren't really my last ones. So now, I am looking at both formal and prom dresses!

6. People asking the dreaded question

Whenever anyone at college finds out I have a boyfriend, they always ask where he goes and what year he is. My answer is always "He's back at home" or "He's a senior...in high school". Everyone asks why I stay with him and my thinking is, why would I break up with him just because I am a little ways away? He knows that I am pursuing my dreams down here, even if they aren't necessarily with him (yet).

I don't really see the drastic differences between dating a high schooler while in college, but I am definitely not changing it any time soon!