My Daddy

My Daddy

Shadows of a Good Father

45
My Daddy

He was tall and kind.

His strong arms could work hard outside, or they could be a shelter for his family.

He was safety, a place of needs met and love freely given.

He was her daddy.

Little Legs

I remember clearly the feeling of my legs hurrying to keep up with my daddy's. His steps were so long.

He never meant to leave me behind, and he didn't. But, my hand clasped firmly in his, I would hustle to keep up with him.

It didn't matter where we went. He was safe. I could be walking to the backyard, or in the store, or to the ocean on vacation. I just liked being with my daddy.

It took me years before I began to learn that my Heavenly Father is exactly the same.

He won't leave me behind. He takes my little hand in His strong one. And, walking with Him, I am safe.

At first, I was too scared to let God be my Father. I wanted to keep control. Only when I let go of my childish ideas and looked up at His gentle face, like a frightened little one, did I find the reassurance I needed.

Oh, friends, my Father is so faithful! Faltering baby steps turned into solid, steady ones. Sometimes, those measured steps turn into a leap of joyful confidence!

And through it all, no matter what I've faced, He has been faithful. In my Good Father, I am perfectly safe.

On His Shoulders

I loved walked beside my daddy. But when you're just a little thing, it can be hard to see the world around you.

That's when he'd lift me up on his shoulders.

The almost-giddying height; clutching his hair or shirt. Then, relaxing as I felt his grip tighten around my legs.

Riding on daddy's shoulders was fun. Suddenly, I could see vastly farther than before. The ground swayed far beneath my superior post.

If we were in a crowd, it was even more delightful. I had a better view than anyone else!

The novelty of it all was wonderful. I lived most of my life from a little-girl view of the adult world. Their hands, jeans, and shoes were more noticeable than the smiling faces that looked down from far above.

Now, I was not just on their level; I was above. Happily satisfied, I could watch the goings-on of people and cars and birds from my comfortable perch.

God's view is remarkably different from my little-girl perception. (Isa. 55:8-9) Just like my earthly daddy did, my Heavenly Father swings me onto His shoulders for a view.

At first, the change can feel dizzying.

Then, I start to understand life from my Father's eyes. Slowly, I learn to see the world around me differently.

I've lived my Christian life looking up, gazing high at victory or answers to prayer as less approachable than the resigned mediocrity with which I'm familiar.

On my Heavenly Father's shoulders, I learn to look down. Everything looks smaller with Him grasping me firmly, and He feels bigger and stronger than before.

My Daddy

One little girl was blessed with a daddy who loved her unconditionally. For that, I am incredibly grateful.

However, every longing heart can know the Father-child relationship for which we were created. Your earthly father may not have modeled God's love and provision, but God wants to show you Himself.

Will you put your hand in His today?