Confessions of a Former Dick's Sporting Goods Associate Who Hates Sports

I once thought the name of a baseball player was a team name.

46

So, I have to be honest here because otherwise, there is no point to this article. I just thought there has to be someone else out there who understands my struggle of working at a place where you are clueless about the company. First off, I hate sports and not only do I hate them, but I do not understand any aspect of any sport. I have had a few traumatic experiences in the world of sports and to be honest, I would proudly admit that I am absolutely one of those girly girl types who avoid any kind of physical activity or sport. When I was six years old, I played soccer and quit after I played goalie during a game and got hit with the soccer ball in my stomach. Plus, my soccer ball was pink with princesses on it and honestly, I wasn’t any good; so I imagine everyone was slightly relieved when I quit.

I was involved with dance classes from then on. However, even in dance class, I was keener on being in the background. I was kind of a shy kid, which is a far cry from who I am now. Anyway, in sixth grade, I was minding my own business in the morning, walking with my friends before the school bell and some younger kids were playing volleyball nearby. Next thing I know, the volleyball slams into my hand and my pinky finger is basically detached from the rest of my hand. Not a good day. Ever since then, I despise volleyball and will avoid playing it at all costs. That brings me to the point of this article. Working retail is hard enough as it is and working retail for a company that sells stuff you know nothing about makes it even worse. Dick’s Sporting Goods is a great company and their fitness clothes are really awesome, except that I never workout.

I have my great resume to thank for that job. I was right out of high school and it was the first job that fell into my lap. I sold the women’s fitness clothing and I pretended to know what I was talking about anytime someone asked me a question. One time, someone called on the phone asking about a jersey. They said the player’s name and I thought the player’s name was the name of a team. Needless to say, that was one of my more embarrassing moments at Dick’s Sporting Goods. Half the time, I didn’t have a clue what any of the customers were talking about. I always thought that the only people who worked Dick’s Sporting Goods were people who were incredibly passionate about sports or nature and knew all there was to know about it. However, after being hired to work there even after I claimed that my favorite activity was yoga of all things, I realized not only athletic people work there. I have never been an avid yoga person and I probably never will be. I’ll always have that job to look back on though. Thank you, Dick’s Sporting Goods. You were my first taste of the real world.